Broadheads to use on high pundage bow

Talk anything related to bowhunting
BIGANTLERGETTER
Spike
Spike

Broadheads to use on high pundage bow

Post by BIGANTLERGETTER » Mon May 10, 2010 10:11 pm

got a fred bear for christmas this year its a 75 pound peak weight bow and im plannin on usin it for my archery bull this year got a whisker bisquit and sight on it now just gonna take it in and get arrows and everything for it so i can be ready,... my question is shooting that kind of poundage on a bow i want some broadheads that will do good i was told by the local archery pro i need bigger broadheads so they dont pass through so easy like they were with my old bow so what do yal recomend for a good elk splittin broadhead
Hunt til there is nothing to hunt, then go farther and hunt harder the big one will turn up

killerbee

Re: Broadheads to use on high pundage bow

Post by killerbee » Mon May 10, 2010 10:41 pm

if your having problems with pass throughs, i'd say use RUBBER BLOUNTS!! them S.O.B's take a heck of alot of ft. lbs's to pass through, and if they do- it will leave a hole the size of a nickle!....

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:38 pm

why would you not want your arrow to pass thru an animal. Two holes are better than one. Muzzy's # one threw fless and bone. But at the faster speeds the harder it is to maintane arrow-die -dame-icks. ( yea I know that ain't how u spell it) For Elks try a rage 2' inch, it'll work fine if your talented enough to slip it betwixt the criitters ribs. But like all ex pandibles they will blow up when they hit bone. And don't nobody send me pictuers of gapping flesh wounds to argue with.If you won't to prove they don't, post a vidio of a ex-pandible goinig tru a elk shoulder bone from at least 30 yrds. Muzzy,Muzzy, Muzzy.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Tue May 11, 2010 6:56 am

If your shop gave you that advice.......it might be time for a new shop. Use a quality replacement blade head between 1"-1 2/8" cutting diameter and you'll be fine.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Tue May 11, 2010 7:29 am

I second that. I use the G5 stryker. It fly's like a field point and has never come apart on me. I have shot several elk and never have had a complete pass through.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

numbnutz
2 point
2 point

Post by numbnutz » Tue May 11, 2010 11:09 am

I like the 3blade 100gr muzzy's. they fly great with my set up. I'm shooting at 70lbs.
lifes short, Hunt hard!!

BIGANTLERGETTER
Spike
Spike

Post by BIGANTLERGETTER » Tue May 11, 2010 6:09 pm

alright thanks guys didnt mean i didnt want pass through i do want pass through just a little more cuttin done when they go through get a bit more of a gaping hole but thats what i meant and ill check out the broadheads you guys are talkin about...
Hunt til there is nothing to hunt, then go farther and hunt harder the big one will turn up

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Tue May 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Hey BIGANTLERGETTER:

Most major manufacturers make quality, good flying heads these days.......not like it was 25-30 years ago when only one or two companies made quality heads. Wace'm, Slick Tricks, Shuttle T's, Stingers, Montecs, Strikers, all fly exceptionally well and are well constructed. Some other quality heads that fly fairly well (as long as your bow is tuned well) and are tried and true are Innerloc, Thunderheads, Muzzy, and Wasp. All depends on what you like and can get to fly well for you. Confidence in your broadhead is the key, IMO. I've tested and have shot all of the above over the years and have shot the Wac'ems the last 4-5 years........best flying cut-on-contact three bladed head I've ever shot. The Slick Tricks flew identical......I simply liked the COC design better..........but all of them will perform well when you hit where you need to. Hope it helps.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Fri May 14, 2010 2:20 pm

numbnutz wrote:I like the 3blade 100gr muzzy's. they fly great with my set up. I'm shooting at 70lbs.
Agreed :thumb
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:41 pm

PhillyB wrote:
numbnutz wrote:I like the 3blade 100gr muzzy's. they fly great with my set up. I'm shooting at 70lbs.
Agreed :thumb

ill second that second.... i shoot the same set up as numb and its a great set up!
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson