your must take items on archery high country elk hunt

Talk anything related to bowhunting
1st timer
Fawn
Fawn

your must take items on archery high country elk hunt

Post by 1st timer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:48 am

Interested in knowing your must take items on an elk hunt in the high country. I'm going to be allowed 35 pounds of pack outside of my bowcase, bow and arrows. This is a 7 day hunt ,pack in on horseback. I'm interested in knowing in detail down to the type of socks and boots. All help is much appreciated!! Date of hunt is sept. 10th through 17th..

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Re: your must take items on archery high country elk hunt

Post by bc.pse » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:30 pm

anything LIGHTWEIGHT!!! LW Tent, LW Sleepingbag and no fires just propane stove...I'll think of more stuff later :/
"I'm a Backwoods Boy! I grew up on a Dirt Road!"-Josh Turner

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:05 pm

good binoculars which shouldnt count against your weight since they will be on your neck..... preferably put it on a cuddy type system your neck will thank you at the end, you can also hang your range finder off this with a small rope yet again not putting the weight on you neck or pack. a good spotting scope if you can afford the weight, good high quality non cotton socks. Maps. Gps. some extra "bow stuff" (serving, fletching, knock etc.) cut back on everything you can, for instance: you only need the bristled end of your toothbrush so cut off the rest, dont take a huge map you need to fold up all the time take a razor blade and cut out what you dont need, try and figure out how much food you will need and only take that (dont take a whole box of something if you only need a small amount.)
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

1st timer
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 1st timer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:25 pm

this will be an outfitter's type hunt our guides will have the tent and food. My concerns are what type of boots you guy's wear out their in the mountains. Type of camo, what kind of socks seem to work best for you.What do you carry in your pack that a 1st timer might not think about?

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:46 pm

As far as gear goes, wool, not cotton socks. I suggest you read this book if you have time:
http://www.eastmans.com/shop/books/back ... nting.html
I have it and you will learn everything you wanted to know about back country bow hunting but were afradid to ask. lol
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:02 pm

ONe thing I forgot to mention, don't forget TP lol
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!