shooting-- broadhead vs field tips

Talk anything related to bowhunting
steve8410
Spike
Spike

shooting-- broadhead vs field tips

Post by steve8410 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:31 pm

so i got my new bow all dialed in right now out to 50 yards with my field tips, go throw on my muzzy fixed 3 blade 100 grain broadheads...and i definately cannot hold a grouping as tight as my field tips.

at 20 yards they are dead on, at 30 yards its getting more inconsistent...at 40 im still inside of a paper plate, and i didnt do 50 yards with the broadheads i had to get going. so i was thinking it was just me getting tired and put my field tips back on, instantly shooting tighter groups.

any suggestions? maybe try different brand of broadheads? does it matter how the blades face with the feathers or anything like that? ive never had a problem before but then again i never practiced at this far of a distance....i even opened a new package thinking maybe the old ones had gotten bent, same results.

what do you guys think? season opens soon if im going to make any changes im almost out of time

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Re: shooting-- broadhead vs field tips

Post by TheHardWay » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:16 am

BHs will definitely fly different than FPs, but they shouldn't be THAT far off. Not sure to tell you what is going on....maybe try a different brand of broadhead? What kind of fletching are you using? I have have heard that attaching the vanes in a right hand or left hand helical pattern helps to stabilize broadheads. I am using the 2" Blazers with RH helical. I am shooting 125gr Slick Tricks. I can get a decent group, but not quite as good as I can with the field points.
I don't like to try and shoot groups when practicing with broad heads though.....my vanes have paid the price in the past. Instead, I just put a rifle target on my Block and shoot at each bullseye. As long as I can hit each bullseye, I am confident that I COULD shoot a tight group.

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Post by halibutaddict » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:04 am

My Tekens fly exactly like my field tips...

steve8410
Spike
Spike

Post by steve8410 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:09 am

using the short blazer vanes, first time for that as well....i think im going to try a pack of the 100 grain 4 blade muzzy broadheads and see how they fly tomorrow, i mean my groupings at 40 and 50 yards are in a paper plate, but i dont like the consistency im having vs field tips, cause im pretty dead on with those.

wounded_w
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wounded_w » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:17 pm

My father had the same problem with the same brand of broadheads. I'm not going to tell you what brand you should try ( I don't want to be a commercial) but definately try another brand fixed or mechanical. Remember, a lot of times you get what you pay for.

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:19 pm

go check out eastonarchery.com/download/software and go through the tunning guide. sometimes shooting a bh versus a fp makes your shooting seem worse because the imperfection in your set up was so minimal that it was not noticed before.... I had the problem with my muzzy's but knew that i had not bh tuned it with all my new changes. in less than a half hour they were back to shooting to how i expected them to....
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:25 pm

poor broad head flight is caused by out of tune bow. It can be magnified by certain broadheads.
This is why the expandable broadheads were invented. Most people are either too inconsistent or dont know how tune their bow/arrows properly. yes arrows need to be tuned also.

Here is a video link of my 50 yard groups. I wanted to test my broad head vs field tip flight. I was shooting one field tip and one broad head at each dot. After the test I went ahead and sighted in the field tips to impact the center of the dot. I always shot the broad head fisrt so I dont end up with torn fletchings. The broadhead I was shooting was a fixed blade wackem.

that set up ended up taking a 28 1/2" buck the next day on opening morning!!

steve8410
Spike
Spike

Post by steve8410 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:41 pm

yeah i guess i would probably fall under the inexperienced archer that doesnt know how to properly tune his bow...ive been shooting for over ten years but i always just did the standard adjust your sights and your done. but i also never used to take shots over 25 yards so i never had any issues.....now that im shooting 50 yards apparently it is a problem, im going to try to muzzy 4 blade in the morning and see if it makes any difference at all

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:07 am

steve8410 wrote:yeah i guess i would probably fall under the inexperienced archer that doesnt know how to properly tune his bow...ive been shooting for over ten years but i always just did the standard adjust your sights and your done.

Im not sure if you are trying to be sarcastic or not. I was not bashing you in any way with my post. Just trying to help. I will say this if you are having a problem with a three blade you will still have the problem with the four blade. Root of the problem is still there.

My suggestion would be before you waste your money on the four blade heads. take one arrow and take the fletchings off it. Then shoot it bare shaft through paper at about 4-5 yards. If you get a tear you dont have a tuned setup. If it wont get a bullet hole with a bare shaft you are over compensating with the fletchings on the back with your field points. It is then getting magnified when you attach a broad head on the front.

So if you dont want to re tune your bow go back to 4 inch fletcings. This will over come your tune problem and your muzzy's will fly better but not perfect! If you want to see how good of groups you can get with a broad head then pick your self up a pack of grim reapers or wacem's and they will fly just like your field tips do now! But this is compensating for your problem. I like to fix my problems!

steve8410
Spike
Spike

Post by steve8410 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:26 am

no not being sarcastic, just being honest, that is all i have ever done....as far as knowledge of tuning a bow i have zero experience...and i guess thats a bad thing but i never had any issues before with just sighting in at the distances i was shooting.

you didnt mention what to do if it does shoot without a tear? ill go down to the range tomorrow and talk to them for some guidance and see where that gets me

thanks for the input