Should Utah Legalize the Crosbow for Hunting?

Talk anything related to bowhunting

Should Utah Legalize the Crosbow for Hunting?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 20

Utahbowhunter
Monster
Monster

Post by Utahbowhunter » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:40 pm

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH BOHNTR!!! NOt for archery season because it would be to easy.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:33 pm

The one argument that comes up many times is the drawing of the bow. First off this is not the only reason their is an archery season. Second We could counter back and forth all day about plus and minus advantages. When an animal approaches and you have to pull back, I have to position for my shot, both have movement involved. Now if the argument is that it's tough to hold for 3 minutes to make a good shot, then all bow hunting should be outlawed because clean ethical shots is a standard rule in hunting and that situation allows for bad shot placement. Now before you get worked up, I don't believe that, but it's the same style of argument.
Are you a politician?? :) Reason I ask, is because you certainly talked in circles and never addressed the main issue.

FACT - A crossgun is NEVER drawn by the shooter. It is "cocked", and many times ratcheted back by a cocking device.

Fact - A crossgun's draw weight is NEVER physically held by the shooter.....NEVER. ** Very importance difference**

FACT - It is equiped with a shoulder & forearm stock, shouldered like a rifle, and launced by means of a mechanical attached trigger system....just like a rifle. And by the way, they don't shoot arrows......they're bolts. :)

FACT - Many (not all) are and can be equipped with an optical scope.

No sir, I will NEVER support this issue. In fact, I sit on the my state archery committee and lobby this issue continually. Our state F&G has agreed with us 100%.

As a senior member in P&Y and official measurer, I also support the Club's position on not allowing them in ANY archery only season.......Quite simply, by definition.....they are NOT a bow & arrow.

However, having said that, I'm not against them.....as long as they're in the general or primitive season.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Post by ElkaHolic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:37 pm

BTW it's called a Crossbow, not Crossgun. Like I said, is the ONLY reason they should not be allowed is because of the fact that you do not have to hold it back yourself and is this the only reason that their is an archery only season?
FACT - Many (not all) are and can be equipped with an optical scope.

Compounds can also be equipped with a scope, but as with Utah law you can not use one on either weapon.

MYTH: Because it is not hand-drawn and released, the crossbow is more closely compared to a firearm than a vertical bow.

FACT: Opponents to the crossbow often quote an apples and oranges comparison when voicing this smokescreen. The vertical archer, if they are a sportsman/bowhunter, prior to ever going into the field hunting spends hours and hours working on the physical conditioning required by drawing, aiming and shooting their chosen tool – nothing mystical, just physical work. Once the season starts, the act of drawing, aiming and shooting (especially with high let-off compounds utilizing a triggered release aid) is no more difficult for a vertical bowhunter than a crossbow hunter. Movement is required by both (one to draw back the other to raise the crossbow into a shooting position) to obtain the target at an average of less than twenty yards. Both hunters must be accomplished woodsmen to get that close to wild game and still mask those necessary movements

Let me ask this, why so burn bent on not allowing Crossbow during "apparently" your season? What would the so terrible outcome be?
There is a reason they call it Hunting, and not Killing :)
http://www.thehuntersspace.com

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:55 pm

Let me ask this, why so burn bent on not allowing Crossbow during "apparently" your season? What would the so terrible outcome be?
First off, it's not "my" season.....it's an archery only season. Ultimately a line must be drawn between what is a bow & arrow and what is not. That's where I, along with MANY other states & organizations, have drawn it. Preserving our archery heritage and seasons run VERY deep with hardcore bowhunters.

Again, I'm not opposed to crossguns. But I'll ask you the same question. What would the terrible outcome be if they were allowed during the primitive weapon and/or muzzleloader season?

Pope & Young Measurer

ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Post by ElkaHolic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:11 pm

I am not opposed to that, in fact I never really mentioned that it fit inside the archery season, or any other season. I do see your point, and I do read the posts.

As far as the Archery heritage, I believe in our HUNTING heritage. Pretty much the same thing, the only difference is I make no judgments, not saying you do, for what weapon a person chooses to use.

Also many many states are now allowing the use of the crossbow and it will continue to grow. Even the ATA has a Crossbow subcommittee now :-$ Working on these very issues. Like I said I am not opposed nor have I suggested what season they be made legal, just that they be made legal.

ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Post by ElkaHolic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:21 pm

BTW 19 States it is legal, all but three have some type of provision for the impaired. Seems Most state do not agree. Also one of our closes states is Wyoming and they are legal during archery season.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:31 pm

Well, I guess I consider 19 out of 50....A LOT. :) The majority are on the east coast also, with the exception of the Cowboy State.

Don't count too much on the ATA......A LOT of pressure has been applied there and considerations and other options are currently being sought.

On a side note, I like the civil way you have approached this topic with me and others. It was refreshing and appreciated, even though I won't change my mind. :)

Pope & Young Measurer

ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Post by ElkaHolic » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:38 pm

LOL I thank you also, I am not a bad guy really, just ask me LOL. I know some are diamond heads #-o jk And I also commend you for keeping it civil. I just feel it's worth looking at. Oh BTW it's legal during gun season in Idaho.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:18 am

:222 :222 :222 :222 :222 :arrow :arrow :arrow :arrow

haha. i thought it was gonna get violent for a minute.lol
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Post by ElkaHolic » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:49 pm

BigBuck perfect analogy LOL

:333 :arrow

Caint weall get along