By Popular Request - StickFlicker's P&Y WR Pronghorn

Talk anything related to bowhunting
waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Sun May 20, 2007 8:20 am

Truly an amazing Antelope. You put in your time, worked at it. Congrats.

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Sun May 20, 2007 12:20 pm

LOL....there is only two years difference between the first photo and the last two, but I agree I look much older..... The first photo was taken less than 24 hours after losing a custody hearing for my son. Perhaps two years later into a "not pleasant" divorce took its toll of my youth!

Slant was named because his horns lean slightly to one side if viewed from the front. As for the video, I was actually taping Flair at the time I saw Slant approaching. I thought that he might feed within range of some other hunters, so I thought I'd try to video their kill. I do have pretty good video of Slant walking past the camera, but since a fawn was blocking my shot, I couldn't draw and shoot until he had walked off screen. You can hear the draw, and the hit, and then he walks back into the screen. It's TOUGH to video yourself! The hunters that I thought might have a chance on Flair saw me shoot it, and took the photos for me. They had named the buck Loner, because all summer he was always by himself, which I had noticed too. The day I shot him was the first time I had ever seen him with other antelope. I do not have the video converted to digital to upload it, and wouldn't know how to upload video anyway.

The bottom-left two photos on this web page are live photos of Criss Cross and Slant, which I took a month prior to this hunt. There is some disagreement among a few of us hardcore antelope hunters here in AZ as to whether Criss-Cross was killed four years later, which I believe he was. If it was him, he was no longer at his peak and had been wounded and abandoned by another hunter prior to the eventual bowhunter killing him.

http://bowhuntinginarizona.com/Home/ant ... dlife.html
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun May 20, 2007 6:12 pm

Marvin,

Agreed thanks for taking the time to post the story. The mass is exceptional for sure and AMAZING! I like to see some other closer shots/pics of him if you have them.

Nice story, sounds like you came dang close to getting it all on video also. I'm amazed at how long the record has held and how far you exceeded it. Mass like that just doesn't happen often.

What where the conditions like as far as moisture and feed?

Thanks for the photos!

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Sun May 20, 2007 6:34 pm

It is my opinion that ideal horn conditions for antelope are the opposite of all other species. At least in Arizona. The years that are dry are the best years for antelope horn growth. I've mentioned my theory to Tony Grimmett, who created the "Size is Everything" video that you sell. He agreed with me, but I'm not sure we agree on the reason. I've always felt that either different plants grow during dry years, or that antelope are forced to eat different plants in dry years, was the reason for the large horn growth. Tony feels that most of the nutritional value of the plants are in the top few inches of growth. With less growth in law rainfall years, the nutrition is more condensed and antelope get more nutrition out of each bite. Who knows, but it does appear to be true. Antelope grow big at a much younger age than other species as well, which means that one good year of the proper nutrition can really cause a quick growth spurt in an area.

I'll see what I can post for closer pictures of my buck.

Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

IndianaBooner
Spike
Spike

Post by IndianaBooner » Tue May 22, 2007 8:36 pm

Awesome buck.... Congrats

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Wed May 23, 2007 10:21 pm

Nice trophy, and a great job of telling the story. fatrooster.

bowhuntercop
Spike
Spike

Post by bowhuntercop » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:48 pm

sweet goat!!! i have shot one goat with my bow and i love it. i am hoping to do it again soon. maybe i could get a big one like you. lol. [-o<