Broadheads?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
amp713
2 point
2 point

Broadheads?

Post by amp713 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Im sure there are a thousand topics about this across the internet... so another shouldnt hurt right?? Im thinking about getting the rage 2 blade expandable (2 inch cutting dia. 100 gr.) broadheads.... Whats everyones oppinions? I was also thinking about maybe the crimson talons? my friend had those but only hunted one year so id like to hear anything i can!
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Re: Broadheads?

Post by The Ox » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:51 pm

I've heard great things about the rage, I hear they are pretty awesome! I personally shoot wac'ems which i like, they shoot great so no reason to fix whats not broke. I prefer the fixed blade broadheads, expandables scare me (would rather not have to worry whether it will open or not) but i hear the rage are fail proof,along with many other expandables.Im sure i am just paranoid.But like i said wac'em shoot great so no need to switch

tkjwonta
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tkjwonta » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:18 am

My whole family uses the 2-blade Rage heads when it really matters. When it is doe hunting or antelope hunting any cheap fixed blade will do but when it comes to the penetration and cutting diameter needed to take down a big bodied mature buck we always use the Rage. I unfortunately haven't been able to personally take one down with the Rage, but I've seen the damage done by my cousins and my uncle and the deer don't make it very far before they pile up.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:16 am

I've talked to too many people that tried Rage two blades and lost deer because they stopped bleeding. They went back to their old 3 or 4 blade and started killing deer again. Then there are others that swear they never saw anything better. There's too much controversy over this product. If what you are using is working I would be reluctant to switch. Most guys I know who kill lots of big game use Muzzys, Wac Ems, and Montecs or something similar.
Mark

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:21 pm

m gardner wrote:I've talked to too many people that tried Rage two blades and lost deer because they stopped bleeding. They went back to their old 3 or 4 blade and started killing deer again. Then there are others that swear they never saw anything better. There's too much controversy over this product. If what you are using is working I would be reluctant to switch. Most guys I know who kill lots of big game use Muzzys, Wac Ems, and Montecs or something similar.
Mark
Are those all fixed blade broadheads?

I had looked at the muzzys also but there were like 5 different models and so i didnt know where to go from there. You have any more info on those? favorites?

but thanks guys and i wanna hear from everyone and i have a while before i have to acutally choose.
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:36 pm

just looked online at some broadheads and most fixed blades arent even meeting the 1 1/4 in cutting diam (except the crimsontalon). The rage is a 2 INCH cutting diam. Also has anyone shot or heard about the carbon express F-15 "dual blade fixed broadhead"? It looks viscious but i have never heard about it???

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:33 pm

amp713 wrote:just looked online at some broadheads and most fixed blades arent even meeting the 1 1/4 in cutting diam (except the crimsontalon). The rage is a 2 INCH cutting diam. Also has anyone shot or heard about the carbon express F-15 "dual blade fixed broadhead"? It looks viscious but i have never heard about it???

every broadhead that m gardner said meets the legal requirements and are all very popular and very effective. in utah it only needs be bigger than 7/8 inch cutting dia. here is direct out of the utah guide book
"your arrowheads must have two or more • sharp-cutting edges that cannot pass through a 7/8 inch ring. If you’re using expanding arrowheads, the arrowheads must have two or more sharp-cutting edges that cannot pass through a 7/8 inch ring when expanded."
wac'ems shoot straight like a field tip and are very deadly i know many people that use them and love 'em

bergy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bergy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Ive posted this before... but its a pretty fun video with some good music. Not scientific, and we are not hunting steel barrels but you get the picture. I am going to look at switching from expandables and going back to fixed blades. I shot a spike whitetail last year with meat seeker 3 blades and the blades did not fully deploy. Enjoy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:46 pm

bergy wrote:Ive posted this before... but its a pretty fun video with some good music. Not scientific, and we are not hunting steel barrels but you get the picture. I am going to look at switching from expandables and going back to fixed blades. I shot a spike whitetail last year with meat seeker 3 blades and the blades did not fully deploy. Enjoy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0
funny story... after i posted this i began searchin for videos and found this one! but now i have the url...

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:31 pm

100grn 3blade muzzy has never let me down on any game animal. I hit a rib on my 08 elk, it split it took out both lungs and came out about 3inchs the other side. It was only a 35yrd shot. I've used them since they came out. Over the last 11 yrs I've taken 12 whtetails, 4 hogs, 1 mulie per season. Only five elk . All with the muzzy.