Archery Elk Help

Talk anything related to bowhunting
archerycrazy
Spike
Spike

Archery Elk Help

Post by archerycrazy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:57 am

MM Members,

I am looking for some advice for a first time archery elk hunter. I have experience bowhunting for deer but this year will be my first attempt at hunting elk. Truthfully, I don't have a lot of experience hunting elk with any type of weapon. They seem to be an entirely different animal than deer (literally and figuratively) lol . I live in St. George and would like to hunt possibly the Cedar Mtn. or Beaver areas.

Having never killed an elk, I will be approaching this hunt realistically. I will likely take the opportunity to harvest a cow if I get in range. My question is, what is the best method an elk rookie like myself to get close to the elk. For deer, I typically prefer sitting on water or spot and stalk. Are these good methods for elk as well? Any direction of where I might go to see elk would also be appreciated. I am not asking you to reveal your honey holes, and like I said I would be happy with just a cow. Any suggestions where I might go within a few hours of St. George? I am more than willing to get off the road and put in the miles.

I appreciate any help you might provide. Having missed recent hunts due to military deployments/assignments and not drawing any tags (including archery deer) this year I am looking forward to getting out into the woods. I just don't want to go without a plan or any idea what I am doing.

Thanks,

Archerycrazy

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Re: Archery Elk Help

Post by Bowtech43 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:31 pm

I don't know your area at all so I'm no help there. However, I would go buy a cow elk reed call and practice, practice, practice. I like the white Primos reed call. Listen to what cow elk sound like, particularly the whiny part at the end when they are coming into estrus. The only time this really works is rut and pre-rut which is hot and heavy mid to late September. If you can do a good cow call you'll at a minimum be able to locate elk. If you're into the rut heavy and good at what you do you'll be able to actually call in some horney bulls. Anyhow, this year is a good time to try this out since Utah's archery elk hunt ends at the latest possible time which is Sept. 17. Last year was the opposite, it ended Sept 11. Anyway, good luck and I hope this helped a bit.
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

archerycrazy
Spike
Spike

Re: Archery Elk Help

Post by archerycrazy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:24 am

Bowtech,

Thanks for the advice, I found it very helpful. I will be buying a cow call very soon and will practice all I can.