A commedy of errors

Talk anything related to bowhunting
nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

A commedy of errors

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:01 pm

I was sitting up in some rocks last Saturday around 11:30 AM at a spot where my son and I have seen deer pass by, just waiting for one to come and had started to day dream when I looked up here comes Joan Rivers (The doe) with Steve Martin (A NICE 3 point buck) in tow. I stood up from leaning aganst the rock (heart pounding!!) but the snow under my feet was slick and I wasn't stable enough to take a shot so I started scraping the snow with my feet trying to make a flat spot in the sloped snow so I could take a decent shot! The doe saw me and stopped. That stopped the buck behind a tree, so I couldn't shoot just then. I thought if I stayed still the doe might continue the way she'd come but instead, she turned around and headed back the other way, taking the buck with her, in haste I might add. The buck stopped a ways away, and not wanting to let this fleeting opertunity pass, I quickly judged the distance at 55 yards ( later I dicovered it was more like 45). The arrow hit some tree branches above the deer and he scampered off never to be seen again. ](*,)

Lessons learned:
1. Stay alert, especially during the rut.
2. Have your footing aranged a head of time.
3. Range the entire target area, not just in front of you.

That would have been a great deer had I played my cards right. Live and learn I guess #-o
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Re: A commedy of errors

Post by Tonoonyi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:59 am

I have also learned your #2 lesson the hard way. I now clear out my footing just as soon as I set up, it doesn't matter the season. I scared a very nice bull out of the country with just one little snap. lol
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:12 am

It's never truely a mistake if a lesson was learned, right?

Btter luck next time bud!

WannabeBowHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by WannabeBowHunter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Something that we can all learn. As was said before, it's not a mistake if you learned something, right? Better luck next time.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:44 pm

Yup, I've learned #2 & 3 the hard way as well.

Was it the old G.I. Joe cartoon that said "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle"? Here's to a lesson learned & the next shot opportunity! :thumb
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:43 am

Hey, that sounds like archery to me! ;) Every time I think I'm getting closer I blow another stalk/opportunity. Archery is a beast, but man it's great isn't it? I have to admit, I'm leaning toward rifle hunting next year assuming that it's even possible to draw a Utah deer tag at this point.
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Bowtech43 wrote:Hey, that sounds like archery to me! ;) Every time I think I'm getting closer I blow another stalk/opportunity. Archery is a beast, but man it's great isn't it? I have to admit, I'm leaning toward rifle hunting next year assuming that it's even possible to draw a Utah deer tag at this point.
I think I'm done with rifle hunting except if I wind up with a antlerless tag or something.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!