By Popular Request - StickFlicker's P&Y WR Pronghorn

Talk anything related to bowhunting
StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

By Popular Request - StickFlicker's P&Y WR Pronghorn

Post by StickFlicker » Fri May 18, 2007 11:22 pm

At the request of a number of you on several threads, here's the story of my Pope & Young antelope. In my opinion, my feat isn't nearly as impressive as that wall full of (mostly) bow killed muleys that Roy posted, but here goes:

This is the buck I took two years earlier, which is mentioned in the beginning of the following story. It is still one of my very favorite trophies, since it was the first really nice antelope buck I took.
Attachments
pronghorn 2 sm mm.jpg
pronghorn 2 sm mm.jpg (100.7 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
Last edited by StickFlicker on Fri May 18, 2007 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Fri May 18, 2007 11:34 pm

After taking the #16 bow-killed pronghorn from Arizona in 1993, I was excited to locate two huge bucks in the same area when I drew the permit again in 1995. "Slant" had the most massive horns I had ever seen, but they were oddly tilted with little curve making him difficult to judge. The tallest buck I had ever seen I named Criss-Cross, for his cross-tipped horns that would surely exceed 19 inches. I was positive that he would be the new world record with a bow, maybe even in Boone & Crockett….. if I could take him.

I located water being used by both bucks, and decided to leave my formerly successful methods of decoying, pit blinds and stalking and use a blind so I could videotape the hunt, since I would be hunting alone. I spent a good deal of time with these bucks during the summer, photographing and videotaping them. I salivated over the photos and videos I took before the season, feeling I had a very legitimate chance at a world record and hopefully capturing it on tape.

I caught glimpses of both bucks the first two days of the hunt, but never within range. Day three was sizzling inside the stuffy blind. An exceptionally wide buck, "Flair", finally broke up the scorching afternoon by feeding nearby. Suddenly realizing that Slant and his harem were approaching, I knew I couldn't pass up a buck of this caliber, even though I had my heart set on Criss-Cross.

I had little time to make a choice as he passed my shooting window, forcing me to twist and shoot through the four-inch opening above the camera. A fawn covering his vitals made my shot timing more difficult. He slowed, offering me a momentarily clear shot as my Hoyt sent the Easton arrow entirely through the buck's chest at 30 yards.
Attachments
Pronghorn P&Y WR 1995 Zieser MM.jpg
Pronghorn P&Y WR 1995 Zieser MM.jpg (104.18 KiB) Viewed 5882 times
Last edited by StickFlicker on Fri May 18, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Fri May 18, 2007 11:36 pm

Camp measurements proved the buck taller and even more massive than I had thought. Due to his horns’ odd shape and unbelievable mass, he had been difficult to judge. I then realized I might have taken a new world record after all! While I knew he was exceptional, I had been so taken by Criss-Cross that I had not recognized the importance exceptional mass would be to his score. Ironically, my Criss-Cross obsession likely helped me stay calm for the shot on Slant! The thought that I had even considered letting him pass, now made me slightly faint.

With nearly eight inch first quarters, my trophy netted 92 2/8 after the 60 day drying period, exceeding the Bowhunting in Arizona state record by six points and Pope & Young’s world record by more than two points. After two more years of drying, he panel scored at 91 4/8. No hunter tagged Criss-Cross, so I’ll never know how he compared. A little over a decade later, my buck is still the world record and the pride of my trophy room, which of course he would be even if he wasn’t the record!
Attachments
Pronghorn WR  1995 2 sm.jpg
Pronghorn WR 1995 2 sm.jpg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 5883 times

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Sat May 19, 2007 6:40 am

Thanks for taking the time to post that. That is a magnificant animal. I've got 74" antelope on my wall and was drooling over the thought of another 18" of horn on his head! That must be really impressive to see in person.

Not to sound greedy, but where's that video? I would love to see that too!
Hoyt

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat May 19, 2007 7:23 am

StickFlicker, Great Buck! No Incredible, once in a lifetime buck. =D> Thank you for sharing the story of your hunt with us. =D>
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Sat May 19, 2007 7:50 am

Thanks for posting! Love the names you have given them. So, no body ever scored on CrissCross that you know of?

Your 93 buck is a handsome beast and very impressive in it's own right.

I probably would not have made it passed Flair.

To me I love the fact of it being a DIY trophy.

Slant is tremendous.

Thanks again for posting the story.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat May 19, 2007 7:59 am

Well done Marvin! Your first booker antelope you appear to be really proud and.....well......younger! :) Thanks for taking the time to share the story again amigo, we appreciate it.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat May 19, 2007 10:22 am

Roy, ya beat me to the punch! I was going to mention the same thing!

Marvin, that buck is AWESOME!!! I never realized just how big he was until I saw the field photos (The avatar just doesn't do him justice...LOL). The mass is absolutely incredible!

Thanks for taking the time to share the story with us!

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Sat May 19, 2007 6:10 pm

Great buck, and nice story.

HighLander
Monster
Monster

Post by HighLander » Sun May 20, 2007 7:46 am

Thanks for a great story and for the pics!
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ARROWS BEFORE SHOOTING.......TRUST ME!!