Need advise on bow hunting

Talk anything related to bowhunting
AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Need advise on bow hunting

Post by AntlersOutWest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:43 am

I would love to get into bow hunting but I havent got a clue about anything reguarding archery
I was watching the hunting channel and seen the add for the Mathews Passion
Since this bow is intended for women hunters I thought this would probably be the best ideal bow for me.

I need all the advise I can get..
Thanks, Carrie

numbnutz
2 point
2 point

Re: Need advise on bow hunting

Post by numbnutz » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 am

I'm getting into bow hunting, I bought a bow this year a PSE. I like it alot. Although I'm not hunting with it this year cause i drew my rifle tags but next year its all about the bow. I havent even gone hunting yet and I'm already looking forward to next year. kinda silly. My advice would be go to your local shop and try as many bows as you can and pick one that you are comfortable with. I've heard from many people its very addicting so watch out. I shoot my bow bout 4 times a week.
lifes short, Hunt hard!!

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Numbnutz has it right. Go and try as many bows as you can then pick the one that is most comfortable. There are lots of good bows out there and big names but if it isn't comfortable to you then it doesn't matter.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:43 pm

You guys are offering the right advice here. I had someone in an Archery Shop tell me once that "You don't find your specific bow.... It finds you." There are so many different bows on the market that have different feels to them. Get to a shop, try as many as you can. Keep your budget in mind, often times accessorizing your bow can cost more than the actual bow did. It is VERY addicting too, I cant go more than a couple days without flipping an arrow at a target.
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Yep. Try as many bows as possible. My wife has the Parker Ladies Bow. She started out with a Browning but fell in love with the Parker when she tried it out a year later. She's deadly out to 40 yards. Hasn't killed a deer yet in two years. Join a club or hook up with someone who can coach you. It flattens the learning curve. The thing we like most about archery season is that it's warmer and the deer are unpressured and easy to find and hunt. It's a fun time for us to camp and hunt and the days are longer. We will camp and hunt in November and December too but it's more work. Lots of firewood for the stove! But you get to hunt mulies during the rut which is fun to watch if nothing else.
Mark

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Bowhunting is very addicting. Everyone above has given great advice. fatrooster.

sharpstick
Fawn
Fawn

Post by sharpstick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:50 am

AntlersOutWest,
Hey. I knew you would come around. Be careful though. Once you get archery hunting in your blood, there's no going back. Knowing you and your love for the outdoors I know you'll absolutely love hunting with stick and string. Everyone on this post has given you some great advice. Do as they say and get some help from your local archery shop. I have met some great people at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Midvale. They have a great archery department with knowledgeable people ready to get you outfitted. I took my son down there and they let him shoot several bows. He ended up with a Ross bow and shoots it like a pro. Have them show you the proper shooting form and set good shooting habits from the start. Get a good target and start shooting as much as you can. Invite me over and I'll shoot with you anytime. We have contests with balloons blown up at various sizes and sometimes even put money inside them to make it a bit competitive. Anyway, come next fall you'll be ready to get up close and personal with some big game.
Sharpstick
Live simple so others can simply live

zrider2
Spike
Spike

Post by zrider2 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Make sure you try out a Diamond Razor edge. One of the best womens bows to come out. I personally have had bad experiences with pro shops. Seems here in Utah they push Hoyt and Mathews. I liked the Midvale Sportsmans until they got rid of their 2 best guys. My dad had em put on a new string, and they set his nock point about 6" too high. I've learned to do a lot of stuff myself. Check out archerytalk.com anything you need to know is on there! Good luck!
Athens Archery Field Staff
Athens Accomplice 34
Vortex Diamondbacks

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:32 am

Just remember, archery is hard! It requires so much more thought and good hunting technique than hunting with a rifle. But that's why it's addicting, especially if you are a person that likes a challenge. It kicks my butt!!! But apparently I am a glutton for punishment because I keep going back.

I agree that you should shoot as many bows as you can. Another thing to think about depending on budget is to check KSL.com. Used bows can save you a lot of money, especially on your first one. My buddy picked up a decent bow on KSL for about half the price, his first bow.

Good luck!
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:33 pm

THANK YOU for all your comments and advise
I appriciate it

Cant wait to start