Extended Archery nightmare

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Earlymorningpoker
Fawn
Fawn

Extended Archery nightmare

Post by Earlymorningpoker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:39 pm

I had the unfortunate experience of shooting the biggest buck I have ever seen and losing its blood trail and the buck of my life. This deer was a pig, seriously about 35-38 inches wide and at least 11 points on one side and half a dozen or so on the other, made a great team stalk with my best friend and he missed a shot and sent him right my way, he paused and I let go and he left before my arrow hit making the hit further back than I needed it. spent the next 3 days searching high and low talked to quite a few hunters nothing. I had a guy tell me he saw a buck like that above Alpine last night, could he have headed that low? .if you all come across his carcass let me know I am really sure though he is 220 inches easy, someone is gonna just tag him.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Re: Extended Archery nightmare

Post by PhillyB » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Man l feel for you... #-o

l had a similar situation during the bowhunt in August. l hit a beautiful buck, the buck of a lifetime, he bled great and then it stopped. l spent the next two days looking for him. l even went back up to Cedar City from Vegas the next weekend to give it another look. My heart sank to know that buck wasnt going to make it and l wouldnt be able to find it.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:59 pm

Wow, dang that sucks. Sounds like an absolute beast of a buck.

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:08 pm

I dont know if it is legal to do so in Utah or anywhere else for that matter but a good way to track a animal that may travel half a mile before dying it to get a dog, I took my black lab (which is trained for pheasants only) and put him on the blood trail and I find the animal. I have done this once for myself and twice for others and every time we found what we were after. This is only ethical if you are sure it was a kill shot, jumping a injured animal with a dog is never a ethical thing to do. Anyway good luck and I hope you find him and post some pics of that hog.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:40 pm

DANG, that's too bad!!! I wounded a buck a few years ago and he traveled about 1/2 mile straight down hill into the creek beds at the base of the canyons. Found him there, dead as a doornail.

Yea, I'm not sure about Utah's laws regarding using a dog. I know that here in WA it is illegal, even if you are using it strictly to follow a blood trail. Now, I am not condoning this AT ALL, but I do know of a friend of mine that decided to just "take his dog for a hike" after wounding a deer and "just happened" to stumble across it later that day. Just saying....

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:48 pm

That is an idiotic rule not to be able to just find a wounded or dead animal with a dog after the fact. That should be allowed after a day of looking. Enact harsh penalties for those caught using dogs for other purposes, but for finding an animal that will die anyway and go to waste, come on!!! Lawmakers need to use their brains.
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:11 pm

primal215 wrote:I dont know if it is legal to do so in Utah or anywhere else for that matter but a good way to track a animal that may travel half a mile before dying it to get a dog, I took my black lab (which is trained for pheasants only) and put him on the blood trail and I find the animal. I have done this once for myself and twice for others and every time we found what we were after. This is only ethical if you are sure it was a kill shot, jumping a injured animal with a dog is never a ethical thing to do. Anyway good luck and I hope you find him and post some pics of that hog.
They don't allow dogs in a lot of the Wasatch because of the water shed. That's a bummer because it would help a bunch. I have a weimaraner that could sniff the chrome off a bumper hitch.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

UvUBowhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by UvUBowhunter » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:48 pm

what part of the wasatch were you hunting? I am still hunting up corner canyon with my brother for doe. If it was around there I will keep my eye open for it and let you know if I find anything.