RIFLES+ME=CONFUSED.

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
BikerRN
Fawn
Fawn

Re: RIFLES+ME=CONFUSED.

Post by BikerRN » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:53 am

I forgot to add:

If it were me, and being that you don't have a lot of rifle trigger time, I'd get a .223 and shoot the heck out of it. You're already doing that with the .22LR, but now it may be time to step up a notch.

The .223 can be used on coyotes, does very well as a poodle shooter, and ammo is plentiful. This will help you to get used to shooting. Another nice thing, minimal recoil. After the .223 I'd look at working my way up the ladder and going with a .308 Winchester. After that, then decide what larger caliber you want. You may decide you don't need a larger caliber, who knows? You will however have the expirience to help you make an informed decision.

Biker

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Have you looked into a .308? It's a great caliber for an all around gun. It has it's limitations like almost every caliber, but it's a great all around cartridge. If you keep your shots to reasonable distances, you'll have no problem taking down a deer, elk or whatever comes across your path. It has mild recoil and I think it could be a contender in your decision making.

tx_packmule
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tx_packmule » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 pm

257wby

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:50 am

i shoot the heck out of the .308 and love it. I have killed elk and varmints with it. I now own 6 of them. Once you buy a caliber and shoot it you will get used to its performance and the distances then your confidence grows and the rest is history as far as missed shots. It is heavy enough to kill elk which I have hunted with others that shot .270's and struggled with taking down a bigger animal. they did not shoot much and so accuracy was an issue. But the 30 caliber range makes up for some error either way for the novice shooters.