Backup Rifle

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
ABert

Backup Rifle

Post by ABert » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:19 pm

Just curious to know how many folks bring a backup rifle when they go hunting? When I was younger (and couldn't afford a backup), I never saw the need for a backup. I knew I would be careful and never drop my rifle. Well, two years ago, it's a good thing I brought one. I slipped on the snow and landed on top of my rifle, scope first. I actually bring two "backups", if you want to call them both that. I hunt with a Rem Mod 700 in .270 and bring a Win Mod 70 .270 as my backup. I also bring a Win Mod 94 in .32 Win Special as a timber gun. There have been a number of times when I wish I had be carrying my .32 in the woods, but I rarely spend an entire hunt in the heavy timber. The .32 works as a great camp gun for any unwanted intruders in the middle of the night, much better than any pistol we have in camp. I have only needed to use my backup gun that one year, but it has been used by others in the camp who have run into one misfortune or another. As an "oh, by the way", the year I need to use my backup rifle, I shot the second biggest buck of my life with it. If you can afford it, I highly suggest bringing a backup.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

4Horns2
Fawn
Fawn

back up

Post by 4Horns2 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:27 am

I hunt with a Rem 7mm and love it for a back up i all ways carry a 8mm mauser i have or my 22-250 depending on what i am hunting :2
Work to Hunt&Fish

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:52 am

The need for a back up rifle has never been an issue, but I sure would feel alot better if I did carry a back-up. Last season I bought another brand new rifle (.7mm Remingtom Ultra Mag) and still had my old trusty .300 WIN MAG but because of financial standing I had to sell it. So once again I am without a back-up. I think this off season I will purchase a .270 for a back-up. I think that the .270 is the best all-around gun.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

Ultrahunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Ultrahunter » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:30 pm

I pack a .300 Ultra but I always have my .270 in Camp!!! Just in case.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:49 pm

A wise man (my brother) once told me."It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:58 am

A wise man (my brother) once told me."It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."
I have to agree with that i usually pack a back up a Marlin 444.

NevadaMuley
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NevadaMuley » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:56 am

I use a Ruger 270, but always take my Remingotn 30-06 as a back up just in case. I'd hate to be hundreds of miles away from another rifle if I have problems with the one I'm carrying!!!

TMaC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TMaC » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:37 pm

I don't hunt too far from home {within an hour usually or less} but if I'm staying overnight or there for a week I'll bring a backup. I'm usually packing my trusty .300win but have recently fallen in love with my H&H {Holly :) }
I bring my Marlin 45\70 for camp when in bear country, here in Canada we can't pack pistols :>/