Bolt Action
Fawn
Fawn

Hunting Bison

Post by Bolt Action » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:45 pm

FOUND THIS ON A WEB SITE
Buffalo Field Campaign

IT’S UNETHICAL; THERE IS NO “FAIR CHASE” IN HUNTING BUFFALO/BISON
Regardless of one’s position on hunting, bison differ greatly from deer and elk. Bison evolved to stand and face their predators, while deer and elk evolved to flee (what’s termed by hunters as “fair chase”). Many people – hunters and non-hunters alike – compare shooting a buffalo to shooting a parked car, or a couch. The element of fair chase is non-existent.

what is your thoughts on this?
================================
RHWWTTCHEN MOTTO
Sans dieu rien =WITHOUT GOD NOTHING

IdahoMuley
Spike
Spike

Post by IdahoMuley » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:37 pm

I here they have free roming woodland bison up in canada that are fair chase.
Muley Man!

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:28 pm

We have a heard of free roaming bison here in southern Utah. As far as I'm concerned if they have the ability to go where they please the I think it's fair chase. It the bisons choice to stand his ground or the head out so they can say what they want.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:25 pm

Some animals are just plain easier to hunt. Lets be honest about it.

Of course it depends on the weapon of choice, which will increase or decrease the difficulty.

For example, (Rifle) taking an antelope to me is MUCH easier than taking a mule deer. Antelope aren't that difficult to hunt with a high powered rifle. They get a certain distance away and often times stand and look.

This can be similar to a Bison, stand and look.

Is that ethical? Sure why not, as long they are free to roam whever they choose.

Many game animals will "stand and look" to a certain point. But some sure won't stand and look for long.

Not saying I'll ever hunt a Buffalo, prolly never will. Just some thoughts.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:05 am

One of the toughest big game animals to hunt is a buffalo that is truly free ranging and wild. There are currently only two herds in the lower US that are recognized by B&C/P&Y as wild and free ranging. They are in the Henry Mountians of Utah and the Houserock herd in the desolate area of Northern Arionza. Asl anyone who has hunted this hunt and they will tell you.....it's tough.

Now shooting Yellowstone park buffs or fenced animals are a whole different story. Not the same, IMO and definately not fair chase. But I won't scrutinize anyone who wants to hunt them this way as long as it's legal. It's just not my thing. However, it's darn fine tablefare! :)
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:09 pm

We have some free roaming herds in the north you don't even need a tag to go shot them. But it's very tuff to go find them in that desolate area.

Reflex_Shooter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Reflex_Shooter » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:37 pm

I hunted buffalo in the henry mountains last year and let me tell you it is the tuffest hunt that i have ever been on. Anyone that says it isnt hard to harvest one of thoughs animals is crazy. Because you have to take into concideration that all the buffalo on that mountain are not in very accessible country. i think of myself as a pretty hard hunter that is willing to walk a long ways to get a quality animal and after my henrys hunt i had to buy a new pair of boots. Buffalo arent like any other game animal the snow does'nt seem to bother them that much during my hunt there was a lot of snow and they where still hanging around the upper parts of the mountain. And so coming from the experience i had i think that hunting buffalo out there is 100% Fair Chase.
Reflex

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:58 pm

Thanks Reflex good post.

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:27 am

The few guys i know that have gone after buffalo here have said the same thing you said Reflex_Shooter.