SHOOTING STICKS vs BIPODS?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
OregonEric
Spike
Spike

Post by OregonEric » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:32 am

Use either and it won't take any Montanian very long to figure out where your from.

Since this is your first muley hunt, I sustain that your time might be better spent asking questions more pertinent to your hunt, such as " What kind of terrain do mule deer live in?" or " What are deer doing at certain times of day?" or "Should I hunt high or low in October?" or " How do I recognize good muley country?" or " How do I tell antelope tracks from mule deer tracks?" which, by the way, you won't be able to do. Or "How does the weather affect deer patterns?

If you don't know the answers to these simple questions, the only thing you'll have to worry about leaning on is your horn while sitting in a New Yorrk traffic jam.

264MAG
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 264MAG » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:56 pm

I used shooting sticks for 4 or 5 years and liked them except they seemed to be left in the truck about half the time. I went to a set of Harris bipods which are always with the gun, but they do add weight. They do quickly adjust to a pron or sitting position which was difficult with the shooting sticks.

One thing I have learned is the bipods add weight out towards the muzzle which hurts off hand accuarcy. If a guy will quickly lower the bipod legs (not extend them just lower them) this moves weight back making the gun easier to hold steady off-hand.

I am going on a combination speed goat/Muley hunt in Wyoming this fall and the shooting sticks are staying home. The bipods seem to be more user firendly and are definitely more stable.
Good luck!

Grayman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Grayman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:33 pm

I am going to have to go with Bipod as well. Shooting Sticks tend to be more of a hassle then they are worth in my opinion. Just too much of a hassle carrying them around when I am in full battle rattle. Prefer to just have them on my weapon already if I am going to need them.

Andrew "Grayman" Nixon

J0n
Spike
Spike

Post by J0n » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:44 pm

Bipods, shooting sticks, kneeling, prone, in fact most everything about shooting and hunting comes down to personal preferance. Find what works for you. Personaly I've had a Harris bipods on my rifles for 10 years. They add some weight to your rifle and are not perfect for every situation. They are however rock steady, and contrary to some beliefs can be deployed very quickly with practice. For an eastern hunter I think you will be amazed at how wide open the west is and for someone who might be shooting 200-300 yards for the first time you will find a good bipod or shooting sticks invaluable. Whether you choose a bipod or shooting sticks make sure you practice shooting your rifle with them before your hunt. Nothing can take the place of practice! Good Luck

COOPERD
Spike
Spike

Post by COOPERD » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:30 pm

Well I have a pair of Harris, bipods, they can pull out your swivels, I have done this on two separate guns, they are sweet to have but I am going to try a pair of sticks. Like what was said before they do add weight

264MAG
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 264MAG » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:17 am

Has anyone tried the new sling sticks? They look intresting but wanted to talk to someone who has a pair.

Wharpoley
Spike
Spike

Post by Wharpoley » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:40 pm

I use a harris bipod if i am going to be sitting in a ground blind all day. for walking around i have a Pole Cat monopod that i use. For me it just depends on the situation i guess.

LA
Fawn
Fawn

Post by LA » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:38 pm

I recently bought the Mossback shooting sticks (more like a tripod) and it has greatly improved my accuracy. Of course I'm a newbie to rifle hunting and have only shot at paper with it. Will let you know after the weekend is over how well it works for real-life shooting. In practice it sets up quickly and seems fairly stable though.

Show_Me_Your_Rack
2 point
2 point

Post by Show_Me_Your_Rack » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:58 pm

I have both if you are sittin and can see a long ways i would say bipod i have only shot a coyote off of a bipod shooting sticks are the way to go for everything else i have shot 2 deer an elk and countless numbers of yotes i would say sticks but everyone has there own oppinion.