Making guns more accurate

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:09 am

Hello Brett,

I have hunted only Oregon for years. Many years ago, I hunted N.W. Montana a lot, I lived there. I no longer hunt the Willamette valley for Blacktails, I don't care for the very heavy cover or the rain. I think if the truth were known, I am more of a shooter than a hunter and the country this side of the Cascades is more favorable to my style and my rifle/cartridges.

I don't generally kill big deer, althought someday I'ed like a wall hanger.
Actually I know more about making hunting rifles and varmit rifles shoot than target rifle's. Accuracy is a relative thing but to achieve any degree of it, we must first define what it is to us. For me it's one ince or under at 100 yds from a bench with bags. What this means from a field position, I have no idea! Rather I do a lot of plinking with my rifles at unknown ranges and ues the sitting position or kneeling position. I have practiced both nso much that I can usually drop into either with the stress relieved from my body. It is from the bench thar I learned the value of a solid rest. I prefer passing on an unsupported shot than risking a bad one. There is no such thing as a once in a life time shot for me; I am a shooter.

If I may I'ed like to recommend a book to everyone. "the Accurate Rifle" x Warren Page. It's mostly about target shooting, ie: bench rest, but the things to be learned that can apply to hunting rifles are great. Let's understand something. All thats required of hunting, is finding the animal and getting within reasonable range. When the safty comes off, we are no longer hunters, we become shooter's! A big game animal is a magnificent thing and should be allowed a quick and dignified death; any less and we are murder's! I think I picked up that attitude while in Germany in the service.

In Germany, you do not watch the animal in it's death thro's and the grass or twigs in the mouth signify the last meal. I don't suggest we do all that, death is still death. But I do believe that ALL animals deserve a quick death. We believe we are a civilized people, that's why when people have been put to death, we don't go fire off a few rounds into their assorted body part's first. It is undignified, as much for the hangman as the condemed!

Hunting is a great and diginified sport, but it is only sport. Warren Page was right, "only accurate riflescare interesting"!

So much for my snobery; God I love this site.

Don[/quote]

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:26 am

Well I can tell from your readings that your know a lot more about shooting than I do. Who prints that book or where is it available? I agree animals deserver a clean kill shot and it's sickening to wound an animal. Nothing worse! Thanks for the reply.
brett