zeroing problem

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:17 pm

One thing that you might want to try is to put your gun in a vise and shoot it a bunch of times and see what kind of pattern it holds. this will tell you if it's the gun or the scope. My bet is that it's the scope also.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Deserthunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Deserthunter » Sat May 05, 2007 6:39 am

quebechunter -- How did you "zero-ing" problem turn out? Never heard back from you, were your mounts tight?

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Mon May 07, 2007 6:21 am

looks like it was a bedding problem
i've put my 3x9 back with the same result. so i made pressure point
on the forearm with aluminium tape, i added layers until a piece of paper
was a bit tight between the forearm and barrel. and my groups came back to normal (+- 1 inch).
but i've shot only 4 3shot groups since i made the shim so maybe it's a bit early to be sure the problem is solved

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Thu May 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Is your barrel free floated? If so it could be when it was pillar bedded the barrel now makes contact somewhere back by the receiver and it actually shifts pressure points a little against the stock between strings.

Also, a cause of this I have seen many times is overtightning of your receiver screws. So make sure they are snug but not horsed down.

Deserthunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Deserthunter » Thu May 10, 2007 5:54 pm

Do all barrels on Remington 700's have a "pressure point" along the barrel or are some of them with "non-standard" stocks fitted different (free floated). If some of them don't have the pressure point along the barrel do they a heavier barrel contour? I did away with the "hump" on the stock of my Remington 700LH in 270win. I've had the rifle about 25-30yrs. I've run maybe a 1000 rnds of hand loads through the rifle. It carries a 3.5-10AO Leupold and always has, the rifle has, depending on the load, shot about 1/2" groups. The groups did come down a little when I got rid of the "hump", however, when the barrel gets warm, say after 3-4 quick rounds, the groups open up vertically, so I put the hump back in the stock. That makes sense to me. Last years "site-in" before the deer hunt the rifle still shot a .47" group. Not bad for a 25yr old weapon. Best loads, are the favorite of several noted people..... A 130 BTS (Sierra) behind a judicious load of H-4831 to about 3100fps, my hunting and accuracy load. I have 3 other 700 rifles, short action, long action, ETronx, none of them have had the problem you note. Your problem might have been fixed, but I not certain that it was a "bedding" problem causing you vertical strings.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Thu May 10, 2007 9:10 pm

Some of their stocks are free floated but many do or did have the "hump" upward pressure on the barrel. Some barrels will work real well with the bump and sometimes you will get the barrel shift changing point of impact.

Barrel contour, stock configuration, temprature, moisture, and shooting style all contribute.

Free floating really became popular through competitive shooters who use a sling for shooting support. With a sling tightly wrapped in either the hasty or cuff style you can put enough pressure on the stock that it would actually bend to contact the barrel causing accuracy problems. Remove enough wood from around the barrel "free floating" it you could bend that stock with barrel contact.

In hunting a sling is seldom used for support but for carrying and that does not come into play.

laminated and composite stocks are not as effected by all the elements as a plain wood stock is so you will see plain stocks with the hump more often.