Whose applying in the Draws this year?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Hiker

Post by Hiker » Tue May 09, 2006 12:03 pm

Let's see....here's what I have put in for so far and what i will be putting in for:

CO- archery deer (will draw)
AZ- BP deer, archery elk, sheep, antelope
UT-archery paunsaguant (didn't draw)
OR-archery deer (Hart Mtn)
WY-Deer & elk Points
CA-archery deer (2 tags-will draw), Tule Elk, sheep, antelope

That's some serious hunting! :thumb
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Wed May 10, 2006 3:51 pm

Someday ill be able to hunt like bohntr until then Ill just listen to what he has to say.

CO- Archery doe, Muzzeloader buck, Archery cow tag, Muzzeloader bull, Antelope rifle, Bear archery, mountain lion. And hopefully after 10 years of applying MOOSE. Ill know next week.

Good to see ya hiker.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Wed May 10, 2006 4:30 pm

Meathunter13, Great to see you on Muleymadness. :thumb

Glad to see you hit on that bear tag and hope you are blessed with a Moose tag too.

I've been thinking about that big cat, that you keep seeing. Do you think he would come to a Predator call? Another way to get him would to find a fresh kill that he has made and get set up above him and wait for him to come in. Do you know anyone in that area who has dogs, who would help you kill him? That would be another idea.
Hiker

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Thu May 11, 2006 11:15 am

Thanks for the welcome hiker... Ive been keeping my eyes on this site for awhile. As always I find as much info as I can about hunting,tracking,scouting. Im 99% sure that cat made it through this winter. Ill know for sure very soon. Hes a brute reminds me of the lioness's in africa. I think he will come to a predator call, Ive been practicing alot, if not I know of his ambush water hole and can find some fresh kills. Yeah he was VERY agitated last year when I was checking out some muley bucks he had brought down. Hes got testy over my kills before too. I hear all the time that the cats have a 20+ mile range.. that must make him a hermit. He travels about 9 miles a day 2 miles from his bed to his hunting ground. and then another 3 to where he naps... and then about 4 miles back to his bed. Hes not nocturnal like he is suppose to be. He drops out of the same tree nearly every morning... sits by the waterhole and then naps on a ledge. Hes followed me MANY times especially after field dressing, and walking back at dusk, He loves to scream at me when I dont know hes there... not a very fun game in my book. Ive tolerated him for years, and him getting 30 yards from me... A DOW agent told me theyve had complaints by hikers about a large cat following them and he told me too shoot it if it gets closer than 100yards again. But then I think they will keep him. Dogs might be a good idea then I could take him with a bow, I need to meet some people with lion dogs. I have been thinking about a spot and stalk muzzeloader with a scope and 44 on my hip though. I had tags last year, but couldnt afford to get him mounted, I wont shoot a book cat unless I can mount him though. He did make it through hunting season.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu May 11, 2006 2:09 pm

Meathunter13,

You need to kill that cat while you have some deer left, otherwise you aren't going to have any deer to hunt. One good thing about having him around though is, he won't put up with any competition. Any young toms that move into his area, dies. Those Old Toms kill a lot of young cats, especially those young toms that momma just kicked out. It sounds as if he's lost his fear of man and if that is the case, you need to put him down, before he gets you or someone else.
Even if you can't afford to mount him, kill him, get him sealed by CDOW and skin him out and then freeze him until you can afford to do a full body mount. Most taxidermist take a year or so to get it finished anyway, so let them start and save up your cash. You are right about CDOW taking him, if you shoot him in self-defense but if you get a tag and wack him, he's yours. Let me know if you want me to come up and cover your backside when you try calling him in. We might even be able to video you getting him, that would be fun.
Hiker

IRONHEAD
Spike
Spike

Post by IRONHEAD » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:39 am

Here is what I have put in for.
WA. Multi season tag- Drew
UT. LE Elk- didn't draw
CO. Deer- Pts. only
ID. Elk,Deer,Antelope-Pending
AZ.Elk, Deer,Antelope, Desert Sheep-pending
WA. Elk,Deer,Moose, Sheep, Goat-pending
NM. lottery tickets for Elk on the VC
WA raffle tickets for Deer, Elk , Moose, Sheep and Goat
4c 4c

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:37 pm

IRONHEAD, Looks like you're going to be busy. I hope you have good hunts. Please post some photos of your animals that you get.
Hiker