Another poacher busted.....keep it up!

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Another poacher busted.....keep it up!

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:13 pm

Yet another one busted....this one with good police work and DNA testing. Just like CSI!

(Most of you will recognize the offender, at least in name)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In early November 2005, Idaho residents lost a special part of their hunting heritage.

A trophy seven-by-seven mule deer buck had been poached. Only the head and antlers were taken with the body left to waste. Idaho Department of Fish and Game officers heard about it from a concerned individual.

On November 5, 2005, the reporting individual found a headless deer in the Morgan Creek drainage near Challis. Local conservation officer Mark Armbruster investigated the scene. He identified the deer as a large mule deer buck, and he determined the carcass was only a day or two old.

With the season ending on October 31, that meant the deer probably had been killed after the season had ended. At the time of the investigation, however, Armbruster was not able to develop any leads.

About a month later on December 1, Armbruster observed a video clip on a business Website operated by Aly Bruner and Rainbows End Bed and Breakfast. He recognized the geography and kill site he had investigated a month earlier. Armbruster returned to the crime scene to match photos he had taken and photos from Bruner's Website. Now he had his first lead.

At this time Armbruster was working with other Fish and Game investigators who retrieved DNA evidence from a deer that Bruner claimed he had killed during the 2005 fall hunting season. This DNA evidence and DNA evidence Armbruster collected at the crime scene were sent for analysis to Karen Rudolph at the Idaho Fish and Game Wildlife Health Lab.

Her analysis showed the two DNA samples were from the same animal. The headless deer carcass and the deer head at Aly Bruner's matched.

On December 10, 2005, Fish and Game officers and Custer County deputies served a search warrant at Bruner's residence. They seized the deer head, video and photographic evidence that eventually led to a conviction.

On February 6, 2007, Aly M. Bruner, 57, of Challis, pleaded guilty to charges of wasteful destruction of wildlife and possessing unlawfully taken wildlife.

He was sentenced to 360 days in jail with 310 days suspended and held at the court's discretion. He immediately began serving the first 10 of the remaining 50 days.

Bruner will serve out the remaining 40 days during the first 10 days of the deer hunting season each of the next four years. He also lost his hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for the next six years. During this time he can't be in the field or any vehicle with a firearm, nor can he go hunting, fishing or trapping with others.

He can't be on public land without permission from his probation officer, and he is subject to searches of his vehicles or home by a police or probation officer. Bruner also was sentenced to four years of supervised probation, and he was fined $2000, and ordered to pay a $400 civil penalty and $50 processing fee.

Without the efforts of a concerned individual, this case may not have come to Fish and Game's attention. Anyone who witnesses a wildlife crime is urged to "Make The Call" to Citizens Against Poaching at 1-800-632-5999. Callers may remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:19 pm

Great job here! Nailed another one. It's amazing what people think they can get away with when no ones watching. I just don't understand how people can have such a disrespect for wildlife.

I care to much about these wonderful animals to lose my integrity 'out of season' or with a spotlight etc. I'd much rather watch a big buck grow year after year. I had a great dad who taught me well I suppose, so maybe I'm luckier than some. Crud I won't even hunt on a Sunday 'in season' that's how picky I am. I figure the deer need a day off like I do. :)

This seems to be a stiffer penalty also, also noteworthy is the difference that each state takes on poachers. Some are definitley a lot harder than others...but I guess it's a 'case by case' scenario.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:31 pm

I agree Brett!

Just a total coincidence but I was at the Sportman's Expo yesterday and was going through the photos this morning to share with the folks here at MM when I noticed the name on the plaque of this particular buck (I didn't notice it while at the expo).

The rest of the photos shortly.
Attachments
Aly.JPG
Aly.JPG (79.94 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
Last edited by AGCHAWK on Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:33 pm

I also got my hands on a copy of the video mentioned in the article and was going to share it but after viewing it I decided not to post it. I think that the buck that was poached deserves more respect than to post his demise here (After all, the offender gave him no respect).

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:16 pm

Just a total coincidence but I was at the Sportman's Expo yesterday and was going through the photos this morning to share with the folks here at MM when I noticed the name on the plaque of this particular buck (I didn't notice it while at the expo).
Crazy Hawk, thanks for the info and picture.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Is this guy well known?That buck was killed about 60 miles north of here.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:52 pm

He owns a bed and breakfast in Challis ID and has one of the most impressive collections of big game trophies in the states, including the famous "Mundy Buck" from New Mexico.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:39 pm

what a piece of crap!!!!!!!! hmmmmmmmmmm whats the odds of any of his other big bucks being poached!!!!!!!! i think they should all get confenscated!!!!!!!!----------------------- on a side note you metioned the mundy buck, i used to guide in chama N.M. and one of are ranches borderd the MUNDY ranch where that buck was killed. it reads RIO ARRIBA county in the b & c book if i'm not mistaken.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:08 pm

any pics of that buck?

zatarain6
3 point
3 point

Post by zatarain6 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:49 pm

good piece of investagation work indeed and a good stiff penalty also . my hat is off to those people who solved this case of poaching .