Craig, CO

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Anonymous

Craig, CO

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:18 pm

I'd like any information or advise i can get on Mule deer rifle hunting in the high plains desert. I would love any tips on stalks, gadgets, or additional regional help I can get. I've whitetail hunted here in N. IN but never hunted the Muley! We have just booked a trespass deal on approx. 5000 acres just outside Craig, CO. It would appear that rancher only allows 4-6 people on that ranch twice a year. In my area there may be as many 50 -100 hunters in that amount of area.

Where do I start?!

FeRangerXXXV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by FeRangerXXXV » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:43 pm

Sounds like your going to have some fun in the Craig area. 5000 Acres is a nice piece of land in most parts of US, but in the West around Craig.....that could be two hills and open large field.

Most of the land around Craig is sage, pinion pine and juniper. You will want to carry bio's and/or spotting scope, a shooting stick or bi-pod for longer shots. That would also mean you need to able to shoot 200 - 400 yards with the shooting stick or bi-pod.

You can spot critters with optics in early morning light and even light. In morning light you can sometimes watch them bed down and have most of the day to put a hunt in on them. Keep attention to the wind....it WILL change all day long.

Overall the Craig area has one of the largest Mule Deer herds in Colorado.

By the way, I will be in Zone 12 just South of you trying to find myself a keeper Muley and Elk.

You should have a good time. The land your talking about should really keep the hunting pressure down. I am curious on how much the rancher asked for access? Might look into something like that in the 2005 season my self.

Enjoy,

PRIMETIME
Fawn
Fawn

Post by PRIMETIME » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:05 am

The first thing to do if you have not done so already is to buy the best set of binos and spotting scope you can afford. FeRanger is right in that in the west, 5000 acres is not huge, but still plenty of area.

Most guys I know that don't have a lot of experience hunting muley will just start walking and hope something steps out in front of them at 50-100 yards. It doesn't work that way for the most part with open country muleys. If they see you before you see them, they will vanish.

Muleys are masters at bedding in open area. It doesn't take much cover for them either. I would swear that a muley could hide in most people's backyards if he wanted to.

Anyway, what I am saying is buy the best optics you can. I put it off for a lot of years trying to save money and I regretted it after I stepped up and bought the good stuff. Find a vantage point and sit,sit,sit until you locate a good buck then figure out the wind and how to stalk in on him. It is a great way to hunt. If you do spot a good buck, don't take your eyes off him until you know exactly where he is at. Big muleys are notorious for just dropping out of site into a bed without much warning. One last thing to remember is that just because you have picked a hillside apart with your glass, does not mean there is not a buck there. Be patient and let them make the fatal move, not you.

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:57 am

I would throw my two cents in but looks like FeRanger and Primetime have pretty much covered it all. The only thing I would add is patience, patience, patience! When you do spot that muley that is when the hunt really begins. Low and slow on the stalk and watch that wind direction. If there is a range around you go out and pratice at 300+ yards, with the wind blowing. Shooting 3" high at 100 yards is NOT the same as shooting at 300 yards. Keep in mind you will have to sight your rifle in again when you arrive in Colo. Elevation changes do change your trajectory. Dress in layered clothing, carry plenty of water (camel backs work great) and bring some high protien snacks. The type of hunting you are looking at may require you to put on a stalk that can last from sunup to sundown. Just because you get close enough for a shot doesn't mean you have a clear shot. May have to wait for the critter to get up out of his bed. Good luck and let us know how your hunt goes

wyomingtrophyhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by wyomingtrophyhunter » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:24 pm

I hunted muleys south and east of Craig, near Oak Creek for many, many years. Same type of terrain as you are talking about. Heed the advice given by the other guys:

1. Get the best glass you can afford....binocs, spotter, and rifle scope.
2. Sit still and use the glass until you think you will go blind.
3. Have tons of patience and look at the same spots over and over.
Muleys are ghosts and can just appear out of nowhere and disappear
the same way.
4. Once you have spotted your prey, plan an intelligent stalk.
5. Stalk intelligently and don't get too anxious; the situation may change
50 times before you get your shot.
6. Practice, practice, practice your shooting skills and your stalking skills
long before you ever go on the hunt.

Hunting out west is so different from how we do it here in beautiful, downtown Ar-kin-saw. It took me a few years to really learn some successful muley techniques. Now, I really don't give these mangy whitetails here much of my time.

Muleys rock !! Good luck getting yours.
"Make 'em leak"

Metz

IdahoMuley
Spike
Spike

Post by IdahoMuley » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:06 pm

where is Craig located at in the state. i have heard of it but never actully knew where it was
Muley Man!

wyomingtrophyhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by wyomingtrophyhunter » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:22 pm

North and west of the center of the state, near the Wyoming border.
"Make 'em leak"

Metz

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:47 am

Welcome back wyomingtrophyhunter!!! Long time no talk, how is life in Ar-kin-saw! All is well in northern wyoming. National Championship Snowmachine Hill Climbs took place this week, pretty good time!

My older sister lives only about I think 10-15 miles from Craig in a town called Maybell. If i was ever, which I wouldn't but if i did, i would move to Craig. Man it is a neat town. Close to the snowboard hill at Steamboat, the hunting is first rate, and the folks on the western slope are good people.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

wyomingtrophyhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by wyomingtrophyhunter » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:23 am

Yo, Muleyman. I have been tied up with this work thing and haven't had much time to play over here. Like everyone else, I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for July to find out if we drew out tags for the ole Honey Hole up by Thermop.

I hunted the NW Colorado area for many years until my buddy who owned and lived on 300 acres right in the middle of Cross Mountain Ranch got too old for those 600 inch snowfall winters and 30 below temps. We tried to hold on for another year hunting school ground and BLM, but the public lands in that area were just too crowded with idiots that had bad manners and skills.

You are right: the native folks on the Western slope are the finest; we made many good friends out there over the years. I will have to say that I am not that smitten with Steamboat.....maybe it is just that snowbunny culture but those folks were not our cup of tea. Most of them were not natives to the area and their smug arrogance and uppity ways just turned us off. Needless to say, they probably didn't appreciate us Arkies either !! We are a lot better fit in Wyoming where everyone is friendly, down-to-earth, and has good manners. The hunting is a lot better too with less competition, except for the slim chances of getting drawn out for the tags we want. Heck, we are going out there this year whether we draw or not just to hang out. We can always shoot a few coyotes or sod poodles and jacks. Mostly just go to get away and visit our buds out there.

Weather is in the 70s here with a chance of showers tonight. Life in beautiful downtown Ar-kin-saw is lovely. Hope it is equally lovely for the rest of you all.

Later.
"Make 'em leak"

Metz

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 pm

wyomingtrophyhunter,

Honestly I have been some what hanging back in the shadows myself the past couple months, I check in everyday but rarely reply to any of the posts.

What you stated about the uppity attitude of the folks in Steamboat is the truth, I can't deny that, however, being that I live in Jackson Hole, I could get use to the people in Steamboat. You want to meet some uppity people, come to Jackson, Wyoming. Other than hunting snowboarding would have to be my favorite winter activity so fitting in doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

Sounds like all is good and I wish you the best of luck in the upcoming wyoming draw!!!!!!!
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK