Arizona 10%cap on Nonresidents

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Nochawk
Fawn
Fawn

Arizona 10%cap on Nonresidents

Post by Nochawk » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:54 am

ARIZONA RESIDENT HUNTER ALERT

In January, Representative Jerry Weiers introduced legislation that would cap nonresidents at no more than 10% of the hunts in any drawing. Insuring resident hunters (ourselves and our children ) would have at least 90% of this states hunting opportunities. This legislation strengthens a new Commission rule that was adopted last winter.

This could be a tremendous gain for resident hunters!

This legislation has moved through the House of Representatives and Senate with incredibly strong support. In the next few days, it will be sent to the Governor for signing.

The only glitch in this process has been a split vote of the Arizona Game & Fish Commission. Three members of the five member Commission do not believe this legislation is necessary. Those three Commissioners, believe the Commission, and only the Commission, should have any say on legislation relating to hunting, fishing, wildlife management and more importantly, who gets to hunt. Unfortunately, on Tuesday these three Commissioners asked the Governor to veto HB2127.

The reason this legislation was developed in the first place, is because of the failure of an existing Commission rule that capped nonresidents at 10%.

When challenged in federal court, by outfitter George Taulman, the Commission's 10% nonresident cap rule was found to be unconstitutional. This almost eight year legal battle, at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars, ended with nonresidents being given equal status with residents in our hunt drawings.

In the last two drawings (2004 & 2005), nonresidents have been drawing many of our most coveted permits. I some instances they are even drawing more permits in a unit than residents.

The only thing that saved resident hunt opportunities, was a ground swell of concern from hunters throughout the west, combined with the strong support of western federal legislators, who rose to our defense and passed

legislation in Congress, once again giving states clear authority to regulate hunting and fishing. President Bush quickly signed the legislation into law and the states were once again in control.

As I mentioned earlier the Commission quickly adopted a new rule capping nonresident hunters, and we commend them for their action; but this time, after the past fiasco, we want even more protection.

This is why we have asked for statutory protection and why Representative Weiers introduced HB 2127. The Legislature has strongly supported this additional protection. Now we must ask the Governor to do the same.

We have a window of no more than a week to get our support for HB 2127 to the Governor.

Below is the Governors web address and phone number.

If resident sportsmen want this legislation signed by the Governor, they need to let her know they support it. Please don't delay do this now.

Ask Her to SIGN HB 2127 and protect resident hunting opportunities.

If the Governor does not want to go against her Commission she could always just let HB2127 become law without her signature. What would be tragic for resident hunters, and incredibly hard to understand, is if she would choose to veto HB2127.

Governor Janet Napolitano's website, http://www.governor.state.az.us/

Then go to the left side of the home page to: Contact the Governor.

Governor's office number 602-542-4331

Please do not delay, contact the Governor immediately. Protect resident opportunity to hunt in Arizona.

In support of HB2127:

Arizona Antelope Foundation

Arizona Deer Association

Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society

Arizona Elk Society

Mohave Sportsman Club

Yuma Valley Rod & Gun Club

and Others
Nate

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:57 pm

I know this sounds like a fantastic idea if you are a resident who only hunts but this will destroy many business who depend on hunting season revenues to sustain them thoughout the year. The vast majority of revenue for both the state and businesses comes from nonresident hunters. Colorado went through this many years back. I believe there are more nonresident hunters in Colorado now than resident hunters and the small business owners love it that way. I don't mind nonresident hunters until they disrespect the land and the laws. When this happens it's a simple phone call to my good buddy, John Law. If this passes, plan on your resident hunting fees to increase dramaticly and don't plan on that small restuarant or liquor store or gas station that you've been visiting year after year to be in business much longer. Guess what I'm trying to say is be careful for what you wish for... you just might get it.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.