Shed Hunting Ethics

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Shed Hunting Ethics

Post by For The Love of It » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Lately I have been hearing more and more about bad experiences out shed hunting. I also have had some bad experiences and honestly am sick and tired of the people taking advantage of their ATV's to pursue sheds. I live in Nevada and currently there is no law regulating shed horns. Unfortunatly I have heard and can feel there is indeed a season on the way. It ias too bad for the shed hunters who actually get out ther and walk for the horns. Using ATV's to get shed horns also brings up another issue which affects your your overall deer population. When a doe who is preagnant is constantly pushed by ATV's on the winter range she will end up aborting the fawn and that is one less deer to the world. So what I'm asking is for those of us who actually care about the deer and the future of the mule deer to step up and take action against those who don't. These individuals are ruining a hobby which we love and personally I'm going to do everything I can to prevent this, and I'm asking you to do the same [-o<

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shed Hunting Ethics

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:29 pm

Welcome and +1

BigBoneZ
Spike
Spike

Post by BigBoneZ » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:52 pm

I could not agree more about the out of control atv's, and i know fist hand that you nevada guys got it as bad as anyone cause most of the state is open to off road travel. But i do understand there is legislation in nevada to change that as we speak. Heck, I know guys from utah that go there just for that reason. This is my advise and what my buddies and i have been doing the last 2 years, when we see them their truck or camp is ussally close so we get the plate numbers, pics, and as much info as possible then turn them in. I even know some guys that confront them with an a_ _ kick'n and somethimes steal the ball and reciver from thier trucks.Thats a little extreme for me but at least thier doing something. Bottom line is even if the officials wanted to police these guys they dont have the man power, so everyone of us need to step it up and take the future of the sport into our hands and police them ourselves.

BigBoneZ
Spike
Spike

Post by BigBoneZ » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:00 pm

And another thing is that i dont think there is a general area i know of that someone has not tried to ride, they dont get all of it and somethimes just a small part of it but they have tried any where they can. and if they are scared that they will get a ticket everywhere they go eventually the mind set about it will change and these days will be in the past, at least i hope so anyway.

*ShedPredator*
2 point
2 point

Post by *ShedPredator* » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:06 pm

+2 For sure, I know exactly how you feel and I feel the same. Here in Utah there is a law but truthfully it sing stop very many people from riding it everywhere still but I hope things change soon.
"to small keep drivin..."

BigBoneZ
Spike
Spike

Post by BigBoneZ » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:08 pm

personally I'm going to do everything I can to prevent this, and I'm asking you to do the same [-o<[/quote]
10sign: 10sign: 10sign: 10sign: :thumb

For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Post by For The Love of It » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:02 pm

Well thank you for the advice and believe me I like to shed horn hunt as much as the next guy but this is becoming riduclous. I have personally went down to the Biologist and game warden and talked to them about this and they tell me it will take a while to get a law passed because they don't have the man power. All the while these guys are running the deer and stressing them way more then they need to be.

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:16 am

I am an avid shed hunter and I can honestly say that I do agree and disagree with this situation.
In the fact that shed hunting is getting ridiculous, more people are getting out and greedier than ever, I have myself seen a ton of people harassing the deer, elk and moose and yes I do not agree with that at all. I will avoid the animals at all possible when I go out. Most people do but there are the few that ruin it for the rest of us.
I will admit I do use my dirt bike and ranger in the spring to get to some of my locations that are miles away but I do not go off road. I ride up the road, park and hike in from there..
You guys cannot assume that everyone on atv’s are out harassing the herds and think you need to take action in letting the air out of their tires, take plate numbers and post them on the internet, steal their ball receivers ect.. Man that’s low.. I would be pissed if that happened to me while I was out not doing a dang thing wrong..
As far as you know they are probably out having a good time with their families not doing anything wrong.. But Yes if you do see harassment get plate numbers, photos and turn them ..
Maybe im opening up a can of worms but Im half tempted to set up a game cam near my truck next time to catch the low life’s that think they need to serve justice because they are jealous when im on the hill. And no im not breaking the shed laws or out harassing anything..

For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Post by For The Love of It » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:56 am

I'm not saying to use an ATV is wrong, believe me everyone who owns one would much rather beat those down the road then their pickup and I'm the same way. I will take my ATV on the road to where I want to hunt and then park it. The people I'm refering to are those who are running the ridges and grid lining the flats where deer or elk winter.

wildantlerman
3 point
3 point

Post by wildantlerman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:45 am

First off, I am 100% pro ATV use as long as they are used in the proper way and people ride them were they are allowed to be ridin. I have hiked easy over 250 miles just this year, I have used my ATV to get me to the places I want to go. As soon as the road ends or I have driven to were I want to go, I will pull off the side of the road and hike from there. I have probably only seen two spots that have had no ATV any were around.
I agree on taking action, pictures, writing down their info, etc but the problem is just this. I have turned a few poachers in with nothing ever done to them. So the same in my mind will be on these law breakers. Dont get me wrong, I will try and do it but at the same time if I run into them then my own actions may be taken towards the issue. (???)

:thumb
Wes
Wild Antler Creations - Custom Built Antler Art and Furniture
Wild Antler Magic - "Bring'in Back Bone"