Utah turkey hunters

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Re: Utah turkey hunters

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:38 am

Hey Kinzysdad,

From what I know of butterfield canyon, you can drive through it but not hunt or recreate in it. I believe it is entirely owned by Kennecot. I'm pretty sure you can hunt turkey in American Fork Canyon. I know you can hunt deer, elk, moose, rocky mountain goat, big horn sheep, and grouse there so I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to hunt turkey too.

I've seen turkey up diamond fork canyon, on provo peak, and a bunch near flaming gorge. I think diamond fork is a very popular spot for turkey. Good luck on your draw.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:11 pm

Turkeys are everywhere it seems. Butterfield Canyon is off limits, but the Tooele side is open if you draw the right tag.
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:58 pm

kinzysdad wrote:This just sucks. I can see the pump gun all wrapped nice and pretty under the tree but I cant put in for the tag untill after christmas. I dont want to give away that I know what it is. ugggg lol
Mine is sittin' under the tree too my friend. I asked the wife if I could open it early and take it on my duck hunt this morning....... Yeah, that didnt go over too well.

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:51 pm

I need to go to the DWR office to figure out the hunt boundries. Good grief, I thought the big game boundries were bad. This one blows. Anyone need anything while I'm there getting maps? lol
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:30 pm

Save yourself a trip and a few $$ and look at them online. Then you only have to go and buy a map if you draw.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/maps/2009_turkey/

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:20 pm

If you draw a tag i have written permission to hunt property up Butterfield canyon i hunt it every year with my bow and see lots of turkeys but it is all private except the tooele side the guy that gives us permission just has us do some service in trade like fixing the fences or hanging sighns easy work and it is worth it
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:48 am

I got my app in this morning.
Everyone, thanks for all you help and insight. If I draw, I may lean on you a bit more. Thanks again. I think its amazing that so many are willing to share knowledge in a time when everyone else seems to be out for themselves.You guys are great. :thumb
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:33 pm

It sure is nice to have such a good group of people on here isnt it.

Good luck with drawing a tag. I might have to put in for next year, I am no where even near ready for a spring turkey hunt. It is something I have always wanted to try though.

So are bands on turkeys considered a bit of a "trophy" like the bands on ducks and geese?

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 am

I drew out last April on the turkey up here on the Cache a boundary. It was freaking ridiculous all the people we had to fight through to get a spot to hunt though. they give out landowner tags like theyre candy but everywhere theres tukeys up here theres also private property. Turkey huntings way fun but if your gonna do it i would say stay out of cache valley and go a little more south.
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

Heads or Tails
2 point
2 point

Post by Heads or Tails » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Just my Opinion, but along with what camodup said... I think they are giving way too many turkey tags out right now.
Heads or Tails Hunting Co.