Brothers First Moose (Picture Heavy)

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
BChunter
Fawn
Fawn

Brothers First Moose (Picture Heavy)

Post by BChunter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:21 pm

My Dad won a limited entery draw for Dec 1-7 antlerless moose, so it could be a cow, calf or a bull without antlers.

December 1
My new gun I got for my 16th birthday was the wepon of choice, but it wasn't sighted in. The 1st of December was devovted to sighting it in. After we sighted it in we just took the senic route back home. We seen 2 coyotes and one grouse.

December 2nd
Woke up at 5:00 am and got driving down the blackwater. We down the MT. Mackenzie road and in the second cut block we see 5 moose all together.3 Bulls a very large bull and two, 2points. The was a cow and calf. The cow and calf ran away right away. Only moose of the day
The hill they were right near the top and it was foggy.(pic taken dec 5th)

December 3rd
We drive back down the MT. Mackenzie with no luck, so we try this Punchaw road. Get halfway down and decide to stop build a fire and cook hotdogs. After that we turn around and head back to the blackwater. We pass some other hunters. I am looking in this cutblock and I yell MOOSE! Dry cow standing 100 yard in a open block. My brother hops out of the truck and is getting ready to fire and the other truck is ripping down the road towards us. The moose cant see us because we are shooting through trees. My dad and I try everything to get this guy to stop. We wave our arms and he still comes and the moose bolts. Later in the day we check out the MT Mackenzie road again and see some guy glassing a cutblock. We drive past and not even 1 KM down the road there is a cow and calf in the middle of the road. Dont even get a chance and they run.

December 4th
This was the night we got 10 cm of snow. Once againg we head down the MT Mackenzie road to hunt some moose. The first cut block I see a moose about 2 KM away in a block. My brothe and I walk through the block to about 300 yards within the dry cow. He is just about to take a shot but cant hold still enough. He keeps shaking the barrle of the gun. Moose spooks and is gone.

Decemer 5th
We once againg wake up at 5:30 and head down the MT. Mackenzie road. Not even 10 KM down the road my brother yells cow moose. The he says it was running. Two minutes later we are going into the same cutblock where we saw the 5 moose on the 2nd and I yell moose. Two of them a cow and calf. This time my brother hops out befor the truck stops and is in position. BANg the gun goes off. All I hear is its down. We cant believe it. We walk up to the moose and see that the calf was dead. Didnt move at all. The cow just sat 35 yards back in the opening watching us. We decide toback off. After a 45 minute wait the cow leaves. We roll the calf onto a blue tarps and pull it to the road(I love snow). We later pace off 76 yards. The calf was shot at 76 yards trotting speed through the shoulders the lungs and clipped the top of the heart. This was my Dad brothers and mine first big game animal on our first hunt. The bullet I was using was a 180 grain remington core lokt out of my savage model 111 30.06. The only bad thing about this shot was the bullet damage to the meat. Both front legs are screwed and lotts of the meat around the legs turned to jelly. These lat few days were the best I have ever had. Not bad for my brothers first big game animal.
Dont mind the stupid belaclava it was cold
Moose was shot right there

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: Brothers First Moose (Picture Heavy)

Post by sneekeepete » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Congrats to all of you on a great hunt! Thanks for sharing I loved the story and pics! :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:14 pm

GREAT PHOTO SPREAD :thumb

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Thats great!! Congrats!
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:31 pm

chet likes mooses :thumb

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:14 pm

Great photos, congrats on a fine hunt. 10sign:

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:52 pm

Nice post, sounds like a great time afield. Congrats on having a moose be the first big game animal harvested. Doubt there's too many out there that took a moose before moving on to deer or elk.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

BChunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BChunter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 pm

Well my first animal was a deer. I have never posted it on here so....

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm just a bit confused as to who was actually hunting (???)

I thought your dad drew the tag but your brother shot the moose?

Congrats regardless to you brother. One day I hope to draw a moose tag and hopefully bag a moose.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

BChunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BChunter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:39 pm

ABert wrote:I'm just a bit confused as to who was actually hunting (???)

I thought your dad drew the tag but your brother shot the moose?

Congrats regardless to you brother. One day I hope to draw a moose tag and hopefully bag a moose.
In BC you can get a junior hunting licence 10-14 years of age. This means you can harvest whoever animal you are with.