Alaska Moose Drop Camp/Float Trip 2010

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
magnum72576
Fawn
Fawn

Alaska Moose Drop Camp/Float Trip 2010

Post by magnum72576 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 am

Hey Guys
I need some help. Does anybody have any first hand experience with a good outfit to provide 2-4 of us with a good non-guided hunt for Alaska Moose this fall. Most likely it will just be two of us. We're young and in good shape. I'm still not sure if we would rather do the drop camp or a river float trip. I think I'm leaning towards the float trip but not sure. Any reccomendations or what outfit to avoid would be great. Here are two that we have been considering: http://www.highadventureair.com/moose, and http://www.fortymileair.com

Thanks Tony
518 396-6752
magnum72576@yahoo.com

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: Alaska Moose Drop Camp/Float Trip 2010

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:48 pm

THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Bowuntr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Bowuntr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm going with 40 Mile Air for caribou this September. 100% outstanding rating from everyone I've talked to. I'll tell you one thing though, you can't get a reservation with them for this year. I got through 20 minutes after they started taking reservations and they were almost booked solid for caribou and were booked for moose. Past clients get first choice. I'm hoping that next year I'll be doing the moose hunt with them Good luck.

I've been researching for two years, exactly what you're looking at. Logistics for a DIY moose hunt in Alaska is an adventure in itself. PaPa Bear has good reviews on this type of hunt. http://www.pbadventures.com/ Good luck. Ed F

DLS
Fawn
Fawn

Post by DLS » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:53 am

I've heard very good things about Alaska Bush Sports. I've considered a float or drop camp hunt for moose (mostly when I wasn't thinking that clearly) and he's one of the outfits I looked into.

160grpart
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 160grpart » Sun May 16, 2010 6:38 am

I don't know if you're still looking into this but here's my 2 cents worth...
You may also want to check out papa bear adventures for a float hunt for moose. I've heard good things about them. I've been researching options for 2011 for myself and some friends.
I spoke to Alaska Bush Sports myself. I think they are getting out of the moose hunting business but he still drops some caribou camps on the north side of the Brooks Range.
Good luck!

muleytex
Fawn
Fawn

Post by muleytex » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:14 pm

I flew with Bettles Air in 1999. I know that was a long time ago, but my buddy called them a couple of months ago and they are still in business. They are up in the Brooks range, if you are looking to go that far north. I did a solo drop camp for moose. I killed a black bear,a wolf and a really nice 63" bull moose. I was pleased with the service. They where one of the few air carriers that would fly someone in solo. They where doing float trips at the time for sure down the John River. We overflew a couple of their rafts. That was a trip of a lifetime.

The biggest problem most people have with hunting that far north is the added cost of air freight getting yourself and your animals back and forth just to anchorage. I drove up from Texas so I didn't have that added cost. Just a whole bunch of diesel fuel to buy.
We don't rent pigs

grenda
Fawn
Fawn

Post by grenda » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:00 pm

I have been a fishing guide in Ak for the past four years and spent the season of 08 and last summer fishing the Togiak river. Freshwater Adventures out of Dillingham, Ak does drop camps and flies out many moose hunters into the Wood-Tikchik areas at the headwaters of the Togiak. I have seen pictures from them and a few 60" inchers(trust me i know because I have shot moose) in the headwaters of the Togiak. Plus I always see the natives with huge moose racks in their boat every fall. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.
-Grenda-
-Big Buck Down!-