The Quest for a Bighorn

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
9er
Monster
Monster

Re: The Quest

Post by 9er » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Thanks for sharing, its gonna be fun watching this post

Congrats again on the tag

9er
Watch your top knot!

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Im going to ride along...thisis going to be a great hunt to follow :)
The Buck Stops Here

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:32 pm

It's been awhile since I posted anything. :>/ Here's a report on the last trip I made out a couple weeks ago.

June 19th

Today a friend of mine from Idaho (Paul) joined me. My wife and kids had taken our truck to Southern Utah, so Paul offered to drive. On our way out to the sheep location, we passed a truck where a guy inside had his spotting scope set up and was looking at some rocky hills. We turned around and asked him what he was looking at. He quickly replied, "Oh, nothing; I'm just looking." I said, "We thought you might be looking at sheep." He said, "No; there's no sheep in this area." Which I believed to be true, but what was he really looking at without wanting to tell? I just might have to keep an eye on this spot.

We decided to park about a mile from the mountain this time and glass more country this way. The past couple months I have only seen rams and not a single ewe. Today, we hit the mother lode for ewes and lambs. We must have seen close to 30 ewes and somewhere between 15-20 lambs. One ewe had three lambs trailing behind her. This was great to see and very promising for the growth of this unit. Once again, we were being swarmed by mosquitos. Even with spray on us, we were being bit through our pants and two layers of shirts.

We later drove to the base of a canyon which held most of the ewes we had seen, hoping to find some rams hanging out nearby. We had our first rattlesnake sighting while driving over to this spot. It was right off the road and about 3 1/2 feet long.

After setting up and glassing again, we spotted three rams feeding on a bench between a set of cliffs above and below them. By the time we got the spotting scopes set up, we could only see two of the rams. One of them appeared to be the best ram I've seen so far. Not quite what I'm hoping for but a nice last day ram. It's amazing how well these sheep blend into their surroundings. I'll glass an area several times and then they will just appear.

We finally spotted the third ram bedded right behind one of the rams we had already been watching for about 45 minutes. It didn't look to be bigger than the other two, but we could only see a side view of one horn. The rest of its head and body was behind brush. After about an hour or so looking in this location, we decided to try glassing one more place. By the time we arrived there the air had gotten very hazy and hard to see. It was time for Paul to get back to his family, so we called it quits.
There's always next year

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:27 pm

July 5th

This morning I took my Father-in-law for a look. We only had a couple hours, so we started glassing the canyons at a distance to see if we could spot anything. After about an hour I spotted one lone ram rather low on the mountain out on an open hillside. He looked like a good one and was in a spot that we could get closer! I just hoped he wouldn't lay down in the high grass or behind a rock or something. By the time we did get closer, he had disappeared. We looked for about an hour before we had to leave. We never did see him again. I think I'm going to take a break from sheep scouting for a while and see if I can find a big old muley elsewhere. I'm really getting the itch to see some good bucks. I'll keep you posted how that goes too.
There's always next year

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:51 am

thanks for the update, it's always a pleasure to read! i cant wait to see this play out to a big ol' ram!!!

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Man Ridge. i am so jelous! this is getting to be quite the story.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

PLP
Spike
Spike

Re: The Quest for a Bighorn

Post by PLP » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:24 pm

You can deer hunt every year!Get back out there on them sheep!..lol..I heard those big boys like to be loners unless they are looking for female companions ;) I'm following your thread..Keep us updated,and good luck!

Huntress
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Huntress » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:44 pm

AWSOME,
I LIVE IN CENTERVILLE, MY MOM AND DAD BOTH HAVE THEIR DESERTS FROM UTAH, DAD ALSO HAS HIS ROCKY FROM HERE, MOM HAS THE POINTS TO RECIVE A TAG IN THE NEXT 3 YEARS ON HERE ROCKY, RATTLESNAKE OR NINE MILE SHE COULD HAVE TAKEN THE ROCKY ON THREE DRAWS THIS YEAR (POINTS) I LEAVE FOR ALASKA NEXT WEEK FOR MY DALL HUNT,
WHEN I GET BACK IF YOU NEED SOME EXTRA EYES SEND ME A PM I AM SURE THAT THEY WOULD LOVE TO HELP OUT( AWSOME,AWSOME ,AWSOME )

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:09 pm

Huntress wrote:AWSOME,
I LIVE IN CENTERVILLE, MY MOM AND DAD BOTH HAVE THEIR DESERTS FROM UTAH, DAD ALSO HAS HIS ROCKY FROM HERE, MOM HAS THE POINTS TO RECIVE A TAG IN THE NEXT 3 YEARS ON HERE ROCKY, RATTLESNAKE OR NINE MILE SHE COULD HAVE TAKEN THE ROCKY ON THREE DRAWS THIS YEAR (POINTS) I LEAVE FOR ALASKA NEXT WEEK FOR MY DALL HUNT,
WHEN I GET BACK IF YOU NEED SOME EXTRA EYES SEND ME A PM I AM SURE THAT THEY WOULD LOVE TO HELP OUT( AWSOME,AWSOME ,AWSOME )
Good luck on your hunt in Alaska. I would love to have extra help. Get back with me when you get back.

Thanks, Koby
There's always next year

needs_recoil
Fawn
Fawn

Post by needs_recoil » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:18 am

Good luck on your hunt. As a multiple time Nevada sheep tag along (cant draw the tags to hunt it for myself) I am looking forward to seeing the ram you pull out of there. Nothing gets the blood boiling like a sheep hunt. Again good luck on the hunt.