The Quest for a Bighorn

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
ridgetop
Monster
Monster

The Quest for a Bighorn

Post by ridgetop » Sat May 22, 2010 9:28 pm

I want to start this "Quest" of mine off by first sharing a few things about myself and how this whole Stansbury sheep hunt came to be.
My interest in Bighorn Sheep hunting started in 2005, when I heard that some sheep would be transplanted onto the Stansbury Mountains. At the same time, a new unit was about to open up on the New Foundland Range. In 2006, I bought my 1st bonus point and continued buying points the next three years.
In 2010, it was announced that two tags would be available for the Stansbury unit. One would be drawn at the hunting expo in Salt Lake City in February and the other would be in the DWR draw for residents only. I put in for the expo tag, along with 29 other deer, elk, and antelope tags. I didn't draw on any of the expo tags.
I have been buying pronghorn points on and off for the last ten years, so now I have six points altogether and am about guaranteed for most units. However, I wanted to put in for the sheep hunt once again, despite the long odds of drawing the ONE tag. If I drew a pronghorn tag, I would not be eligible for a sheep tag this year. Therefore, I decided instead to put in for a high quality deer hunt. If I drew it over the sheep tag I would be just as happy. I put in for the the Paunsaugunt muzzy hunt with one point and the Stansbury sheep with four points. The odds of drawing either were long. (About 1:100 for the deer and 1:400 for the sheep.) I could not believe it when I saw my credit card statement with the $508.00 draw from Utah DWR. A few days later an e-mail confirmed I had been successful.
Now the only problem remained was how to break the news to my wife. First, about how much time I'd be spending on the mountain and second, what the expense of the hunt would be. I emphasized to her the fact that we only live 12 miles from some of the sheep--not only would this help on gas money but would insure that I could spend time scouting and not driving. I also promised her she could ride her horse to scout for me while I babysat the kids. (Maybe not a smart move on my part!) The one thing I can't compromise is that family must always come first.
In May of 2007, we moved from the Salt Lake Valley to Grantsville, a small farming town about 35 miles to the west of Salt Lake. Grantsville rests up against the East side of the Stansbury mountains. This is looking like where home will be for a long time. I think it will be awesome to look back in 20 or 30 years and tell my grandkids that I was the first one to hunt Bighorns on the Stansburys.
The first sheep I saw on the Stansburys was in Nov. 2007, while I was looking for rutting bucks on the North end of the mountains. It was a lone ram high up on the ridge about a mile away. It looked like a good one. In late January 2008, Corby (sawtooth) and I saw some sheep on the West side of the range. We were able to get a few pictures. I'm hoping I can see these rams this year. They should be worth hunting.
Well, "THE QUEST" is on. Here's some pictures of the area and the rams we saw in 2008.

This is from my back yard.

This is on the West side of the range where we saw the sheep in 2008.

P.S. From here on out, I will try and keep this post updated on a weekly basis. I have been out looking a few times already, so I'll be playing catch up with my reports for awhile.
Last edited by ridgetop on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's always next year

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: The Quest

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat May 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Ridge, I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to this!!! You can count on me to be anxiously awaiting your updates. ---------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Sun May 23, 2010 6:26 am

I am also looking forward to you updates on this thread! I guess I lucked out on a year without a tag considering I will have this to keep me in the game! Good luck again :thumb
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun May 23, 2010 8:00 am

April 17th, 2010.
First trip out looking for the year. I was tending my five year old son this afternoon while the girls were off doing something else. So the little guy and I decided to go look for sheep on the North end of the range. We found a nice looking canyon and started hiking up it. The mosquitos were really bitting us and I had no bug spray with us. I'll need to remember to bring it along next time. We made it about a mile up this canyon before the little guy ran out of gas and wanted to go back. No wonder, his pockets were full of nice looking rocks he had found on the way. lol We did see 3 small rams further up this canyon and I got some very poor quality video of them but I also forgot to bring along a still shot camera. So sorry, no pictures of this trip.
Last edited by ridgetop on Sun May 23, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's always next year

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Sun May 23, 2010 10:22 am

Great posts and looking forward to the rest! I subscribed to your post so I make sure to not miss anything! Best of luck on your scouting!

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun May 23, 2010 7:08 pm

May 3rd.
After I got home from work, Alauna, the kids and I went for a drive looking for sheep from the road on the West side of the range. We spotted 3 more young rams from the road but when we got out to go for a hike hoping get closer to these rams for pictures. We were vicously attacked by mosquitos and gnats. Again with no bug spray, when will I learn. :-k We stayed in the truck and drove on with no more sheep spotted that day.
Last edited by ridgetop on Tue May 25, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's always next year

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun May 23, 2010 10:15 pm

man- this thread is going to kick butt :thumb i'm getting nervous already, and it aint even my tag! awsome idea you have here!

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Mon May 24, 2010 4:42 am

I agree, great idea ridgetop. 10sign: I too will be anxiously tagging along. :thumb

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 am

I'm along for the ride. Very cool of you to share with everyone. I agree that it will be awesome for you to be able to look back and say I was the first to hunt bighorns on that range. Too bad you cant buy points for your 5 year old so that he might have a chance to draw and hunt the range too. Maybe he'll just have to get lucky and draw with only for points like you :thumb .
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

Sniper1
Spike
Spike

Post by Sniper1 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:38 am

This will be a great story and will get intense im sure as it leads up to the hunt...
Aim Small Miss Small