what unit for moose

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
The Ox
Monster
Monster

what unit for moose

Post by The Ox » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:21 pm

ive decided i want to put in for moose (utah)this year but im not sure what the good units and the best chance for a successful hunt is any info on what units are the top units would be nice, trophy is not a huge huge deal just as long if i drew out i could get some good opportunities ay a couple bulls im thinkin rifle hunt as wel,l but if muzzeloader or archery is better well info on that would be nice to

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:01 pm

well i know of lots a moose out here. but this tag is pretty hard to get since its once in a lifetime hunt
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:00 pm

well i know its hard thats why i was wondering which one to start putting in for , im not sure which one is the better one to go for. if i drew out i would definently go with a guide on something like a once in a lifetime hunt. espescially not knowing the moose ranch seeing how im from souther utah but im just not sure if there is a best unit or there if there all pretty equal
i know it took my uncle like 25 years to draw on henry mtn bison so im prepared to wait a long time but i need to start putting in now. and i dont have a clue what unit

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:30 pm

ranch****
i meant range

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:51 pm

For now, just pick the one with the best odds..... and feel extremely lucky if you draw.
Then, as you climb the points ladder, you can get picky with which unit you want.

P.S. Most likely it will be longer than you expect, but it only took me 5 tries, and gruntsmacker drew fairly early as well. So, DONT EVER GIVE UP HOPE.

get a hold of me when you draw.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:06 pm

hey thanks what unit did you draw on , looks like you got a pretty nice bull how big was he. ive narrowed it down to wasatch or cache but i think wasatch is the worst odds but ive heard its pretty good. but im leaning more towards cache for now

grunt_smacker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by grunt_smacker » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:36 am

Wasatch is were I drew out with 4 points, so your odds are not really as bad as you think.
Take the unit you are wanting to apply for and subtract half of the permits, those will go to those with max bonus points.
The rest will be what you have a chance for.
What unit will hold the best? That you will have to decide on, but the wasatch has some really nice bulls and the units up north too.
contact Chet if you do draw, he is a moose maniac! and willing to help any fellow hunters.
Don't be scared to ask others for help if you do draw out, that is where I found help and ended up getting a nice bull.
Good luck!
here are a few bulls from the wasatch unit
and here is the big boy I got

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:25 pm

nice bull that just gets my heart pumpin
well thanks fro the info much appreciated

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:09 pm

I also drew wasatch with 4 points.
chet likes moose!
There's always people angry at guys drawing with few points, but there are more people that are happy for ya and willing to help!
Gruntsmacker capitalized BIG TIME!!!! I still cant beleive it!!
Mine scored 140 and was 47" He had a baseball sized lump above his eye, a cracked skull, and some pretty serious battlescars on his hide, but his fighting time was up as he was aged at 12+ years. testicles barely there at all, I've killed yearling bucks with bigger nuts!
this is why I like moose so much, they are all so different!
You always here of that 30" buck, or that 380 bull..... but a moose is a moose is a moose, they are all trophys in my opinion!
If you draw with four points, we're gonna form a club! and we'll go moose huntin (with cameras) every fall!!!! lol
good luck!

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:20 am

sounds good chet lol