New Mexico ORYX!

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
Ready
Spike
Spike

Re: New Mexico ORYX!

Post by Ready » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:16 pm

BTW, I might have ruined the cape a little. You can barely make out the entry hole in his neck, just behind his ear at the top of the black barring. This was the only shot he gave me as he was laying in his bed. It was about a 120 yard shot and I was actually surprised that I made it that accurately. I didn't want to risk him seeing us and others that we had jumped out of their beds ran like wild, crazy maniacs! I tried to get him up with deer bleats and such but he wouldn't get up. All we could see was the tips of his horns. Finally, I whistled really loud and he just kind of proped himself up on his front feet for a look around. Smack, and it was over. Great hunt, everyone should try it once. If anyone draws the Stallion Range, I'd be glad to help out with any info I have!

Later,

Dustin

Ready
Spike
Spike

Post by Ready » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 pm

Hey Killer,

They are about the size of a smaller/younger spike bull elk. I don't think I could've loaded him without the help of my boys, but it wasn't too bad. The missile range allows you to go off-road for game retrieval only, but I'm glad they do because we were probably close to a mile off the road. It was easy driving to him, just lots of tall grass and some brush.

There were actually quite a few oryx roaming around, but they knew what the hunt was all about and were really wild, although every now and then, we would run into a "tame" one.

I too had never seen one before this hunt and it was kind of weird at first, but then it was just "hunting". I used the optics a lot and was able to bed this bull from miles away after other hunters had chased him for over an hour.

Later,

Dustin

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:02 am

=D> congrats on your OIL hunt =D>
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks Dustin! Sounds/looks like a great time. :thumb

Still can't believe you don't have to be in Africa to kill one. :)

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:44 am

Looks like an awesome hunt and you didn't have to go to Africa. That will make a heck of a wall mount and an awesome conversation piece. I'd love to try it someday. Thanks for sharing the experience and photos.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:55 pm

=D> =D>
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com