Nice Moose

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
Fawn
Fawn

Nice Moose

Post by 338 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:03 pm

This is a buddy of mine killed his moose on October 5, 2008, north slope summit tag, after three hard weeks of chasing him.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Re: Nice Moose

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:24 pm

WOW! What a GREAT Bull!!

CONGRATS to your buddy!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:28 pm

An absolute beast of a bull!! Congrats to your friend and thanks for sharing the hunt with us. 10sign:

basingater
2 point
2 point

Post by basingater » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:32 pm

very nice bull!!!!

Fawn
Fawn

Post by 338 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:13 pm

i have a little more time now to give a story. we hunted for a good bullfor a couple weeks prior to the hunt. all we could find was 35 inch bulls and a couple in the fortys but the bigger ones live in the campgrounds or next to the cabins. we hunted from hoop lake, china meadows, smiths fork, near red castle lake, blacks fork, henerys fork, you name it we have been there. we have walked a lot of miles by now . no horses yet. then we decided to concentrait in one area that we had seen bulls in on the opener and that i have seen good bulls in the years past. so the hunt was on up there every morning about 3.5 to 4 miles one way. seeing tracks but no animals so i decided to start tracking . we tracked for about three hours around and around we go finally another friend jumps a cow with in ten yards of where we have been for three hours well as luck would have it she had company. (he is hunting at this time with archery) and he is big so here they come at us and stop at thirty yards no shot on the big guy they stop she is broad side but he is behind her they see us she bolts he turns to bolt and the arrow flys (DONG)a little high right into a tree. this all happenes on sunday about two oclock we give them a bit start tracking again after two hours they loose us. the next day was a blizzard then on tues it closed. reopened on the forth of oct the hunters b day so now comes the horses we have now lost all our help to the elk hunt so just the two of us sat morning. up we go got on the same bulls tracks in the same place so now we know this is his home. work it long enough you will kill i kept telling him.sat no dice still lost us then comes the snow and we put him to bed. so this is done in my eyes. wrong again. all the way up there no fresh tracks. we go up to this little meadow with a small pond.and cut two sets of elk but no moose so i say this is where we will kill. he looks at me funny. i say its the truth. we will sit here tell he comes through so we look for a good place to sit skirting the meadow. we get to the bottom side and (wha,wha,whha) a bull starts grunting i say get your pack off and get ready he does and there is the bull at about 50 yards. i say not big enough(meaning not the bull he missed earlier not that he was small) but he shot anyway and then the work began. sorry so long but it was a great hunt im thankful i was able to be part of it. the bull is 50 3/4 wide 8 on each that score not real good at moose so i called a offical measurer and got some help should go over 160 may be more ill update asap by the way hunter folded and resorted to the rifle

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:45 am

Wow!!! congrats to your buddy! :thumb Good story too thanks for sharing!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:19 am

I am trying to perfect my judging skills, I am usually too generous.
I say gross 146" , let me know how bad i suck.
Oh and I'd be extremely happy to measure it for you if you are ever in Tooele.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:23 am

that should be close to our state record i would think. he is a hog!! let me know on the record
from the Boone and Crockett club
"May 9, 2008 ... The Utah state record for Shiras moose is a 185-1/8 bull taken by Lloyd E. Lish, Jr. in Cache County in 1993. ..."
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

Fawn
Fawn

Post by 338 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:19 pm

chet this bull was scored not offical but green scored by an offical scorer steve sheehe in riverton and he went 157 4/8 net yes net and he has 8 7/8 deduction so you were pretty close for just seeing three or so picts but all i can say is WOW what a bull and CONGRATS to Rob Gillins thanks for a great hunt by the way rob will over fifty do i know hes not quite forty like you wanted haha thanks again see you around

big white man
Fawn
Fawn

Post by big white man » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:25 pm

hey where are the pics