Texas desert bighorn tag

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
11andy11
Fawn
Fawn

Texas desert bighorn tag

Post by 11andy11 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:28 am

Hi all. This is my first post on the site. Looks like a wealth of info. I got drawn on a tag for texas desert bighorn and my hunt starts the 1st of Feb. I am just trying to find out some info on what to expect and any essential equipment I might need. I will be hunting at Black Gap which is essentially Big Bend National park. I am shooting a 300 win mag. I have nice binos, range finder, spotting scope. If anyone has hunted a sheep in Texas or just has any suggestions please let me know. I have already started a conditioning program. I think elevations run up to about 4,000 ft there. Weather is going to be a pain as the hunt manager told me that last year the low in feb was 19 degrees and the high was 98.

Avs man
Spike
Spike

Re: Texas desert bighorn tag

Post by Avs man » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Just consider yourself a lucky son of a gun and have a great time, It will be the hunt of a lifetime and we want to see pics when you are done. Good luck. Good glass is a must for any sheep hunt. dont forget to practice shooting at extreme angles because Ive never even heard of anyone killing one on the level.
I spend Half my money on Huntin, The rest I just waste!

11andy11
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 11andy11 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 am

oh, trust me I know how lucky I am. They only issued one permit in this lottery. Practicing shoots up or down hill will be near impossible. I live in Houston and there ain't a hill for a couple of hundred miles. I will post photos after the hunt for sure.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:10 am

Maybe you could lean out the 13 floor of one of the Houston skyscrappers and pick off some urban jack rabbits. lol
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

portchm
Fawn
Fawn

Post by portchm » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:42 pm

11andy11,

Would love to hear how your hunt turned out. I am extremely interested as I was also very fortunate and won the Texas Grand Slam Hunts this year. Have alredy gone on the Whitetail and Muledeer hunt, and am scheduled to hunt sheep in April at Elephant Mountain WMA. As you said your trip was Feb 1st, I am guessing you are back. Would like to hear how the hunt went, pictures, etc. Hope it went well.

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Tue May 05, 2009 3:37 pm

so...how did your tip go....