Bison on the move to Book Cliffs!

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bison on the move to Book Cliffs!

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Good news...

31 Utah bison headed for the Book Cliffs
January 13th, 2009 @ 7:47am

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Thirty-one Utah bison are on the move.

The Division of Wildlife Resources captured them over the weekend in the Henry Mountains.

After a stop at Antelope Island -- where they'll be checked for disease and given a radio collar -- the bison will taken to the Book Cliffs.

There, they'll join 14 other bison that were imported last August. Eventually, state officials hope the Book Cliffs herd will number around 450.

There are more than 400 bison in the Henry Mountains in southeastern Utah. That herd started in 1941 with 18 bison trucked in from Yellowstone National Park.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Re: Bison on the move to Book Cliffs!

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:04 pm

i say lets get them all over the country again. have herds like you heard about when you where a kid. millions upon millions of animals running all over the country. oh to dream
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

11andy11
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 11andy11 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:20 pm

its interesting, down here is Texas on the gulf coast, they once ranged free. There is an effort to restore the natural coastal grasslands underway. You can't graze cattle on it because they are close croppers, meaning that when they feed they eat the native grasses to the roots. The bison is not a short eater allowing the native species to re-germinate. I would love to see them returned to a wider range.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:04 pm

one hunting fool wrote:i say lets get them all over the country again. have herds like you heard about when you where a kid. millions upon millions of animals running all over the country. oh to dream
Millions upon millions? There would be stampedes in every western neigborhood. It would be like something out of the movie Jumangi. lol

J/K I would like to see more herds and hunting opportunities. Kudos to the DWR and supporting contributers on the effort to start a book cliff herd. :thumb
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."