Moose on the move to Colorado

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
hopper
Fawn
Fawn

Moose on the move to Colorado

Post by hopper » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm new to this site and from what I have seen so far is absolutely awesome!! Its great to find my hunting brothers from all over this great nation. That being said. I have a small beef with these moose being moved to Colorado. In Utah a moose tag is the hardest tag to obtain. Why on earth do we have enough moose to ship to Colorado but not enough moose to give us hunters a few more tags? Anybody have an opinion on this?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Moose on the move to Colorado

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:48 am

Simple IMO, these moose are troubled moose according the article and info. Thus after complaint after complaint the DWR has to step in a do something. A good move IMO.

We get big game in return, how can a guy argue that? :thumb

hopper
Fawn
Fawn

Post by hopper » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:27 am

Understand that completely!! I cant argue that point in the least.

sheephunter
Spike
Spike

Post by sheephunter » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:40 pm

From what I know about moose (and I'm certainly no authority), you can't look at moose the same way as deer or elk. Moose are not a herd animal; it's rare to see more than a couple of them together. Most of the moose I run into are by themselves, or a cow with a calf. Bulls in particular are really solitary. So if you have an area that might support a herd of 100 or so elk, the same area might have only a couple moose in it. Thus the reason most of the moose are being transplanted; Mama's running them off and they end up causing all kind of ruckus in a town, so for everyone's benefit they are trapped & transplanted.
That's my take on it anyhow, but it's a good question. If you have an opportunity to question a biologist that's involved I'll bet he sings a similar tune. I've found if you ask these folks in a non-confrontational way you get all kinds of info from them.
I think also that UT is getting some sheep from CO in return.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Glad to see good conservation at work
THE LORD IS MY ROCK