Yikes Moose Car Collision pics

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yikes Moose Car Collision pics

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:24 pm

Believe these are a couple years old, but I had never seen these pics before.

From Maidstone Saskatchewan. Young nurse hit the moose and was apparently okay other than some broken ribs. YIKES!!
Attachments
Moose1.jpg
Moose2.jpg
Moose3.jpg
Moose4.jpg

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Re: Yikes Moose Car Collision pics

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Yea, I've seen these before but it never amazes me when I look at them that she actually survived with no life threatening injuries! Boy, I bet it scared the "you-know-what" out of her though!

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:23 am

Wow, ive never seen those before. She is very lucky and I cant believe how much damage was caused.. poor moosey

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:48 pm

How the heck did it go through the back window on a highway?

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:34 pm

hound_hunter wrote:How the heck did it go through the back window on a highway?
It didn't, look at the last pic. Though, from the first couple of pics I was thinking the same thing.

I saw a moose on the side of the road once before and felt bad not only for the moose but whatever hit it. Deer do more than enough damage.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

BChunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BChunter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:34 pm

In the 80's my Dad was riding his motorcycle home from town and he hit a moose. A trucker found him early the next morning. It worked out well he lived moose died. He was in the hospital only for 2 weeks. He got a concussion. The police told him he had hit it in the stomach and gutted the 1500 lb moose. He asked for the meat since he couldnt work but they gave it to the natives :>/

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:19 pm

I dunno Abert.. It's hard to tell. That passenger seat is leaning forward not broken backwards. There's no way the whole moose fit through that opening, although I guess at high speeds the un-logical can happen. His head/body is pertruding from the back with pressure towards the head/shoulders which I would think if the moose made a full pass through the vehicle, enough to get his legs through, etc... then his body weight would have continued the momentum the way it was going and not pushed him back against his momentum into the car. And with the size of the back window and the roof crunched down a little bit..............It just clicked.. I was going to finish saying with the roof crunched down a little bit he couldn't have fit his whole body through the window.

I get it now though, haha.. durrr. He was hit by the front of the car, passing over top of the vehicle, ripping the top of the body of the car all the way back was enough to stop the moose from flying anywhere, etc.. and instead of flying (which he wouldn't have "flown" very far anyways given his size and the size of the car.. but still, it looks to be a highway, high speed in a little car would still have to move that big body a little. Anyways, the moose's momentum was stopped by ripping the roof off/back and he landed on the trunk. Maybe still alive a little wedging his body in the back window a tad on accident, or maybe he's leaning into the back window cause of body weight.

It makes a little more sense to me now. Now I can enjoy (probably not the right word) the pictures without trying to figure them out, haha. There's something I hope I never see! That's really too bad. Crazy pictures Brett

Hunt'nRN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Hunt'nRN » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:10 am

Man I can't beleive the driver walked away from that.

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:35 am

hound_hunter wrote:How the heck did it go through the back window on a highway?

the picture is reversed :))
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 am

hound_hunter wrote: Crazy pictures Brett
I'm with you Hound Hunter it was very difficult to see how the moose head ended up through the back window of the car. When I look at the second picture, I immagine that the curved portion of the roof was likely wrapped around the body. Then when the momemtum of the car continued under the moose, I mmagine the moose going upand over. At the apex the weight of the head probably broke the back window. In essence the moose "fell" off the roof when it was at the top point of the travel up over the car.

Last year near strawberry resevoir I saw a cow moose that had been hit. Judging by the carnage it must have been hit by a semi. We went to Flaming Gorge this past weekednd. I saw four dead cow elk on the side of the road. Deer do plenty of vehicle damage. I hope I never hit an elk or a moose.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."