2nd Annual Rocky Mountain Goat Self Pity Hike

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
johnyutah5
2 point
2 point

Re: 2nd Annual Rocky Mountain Goat Self Pity Hike

Post by johnyutah5 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Very cool post. I can't believe the goats let you get that close....we had a few that let us get close but a lot of the older billies would run as soon as they saw us. Great pictures and love your writing style.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Very good post. Thanks for sharing it with us. Good luck next year, maybe it won't be a pitty hike.
Deadi

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Great post and story, If it makes you feel better, I'm five years behind ya. When I first moved to Utah, I lived in east Orem and could watch the goats up on timp from my living room with a spotting scope. Now I live in Springville and I've only seen deer and elk. -----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:57 pm

Wow! Great story and pics! Great lookin' country and plenty of goats too! I'd love to get a chance to just visit that country some time. I think hiking back in there and taking pics can be just as fun as actually hunting. Best of luck trying to draw your tag! 10sign:

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:07 pm

Nice pics, wow that would sure be nice to win the goat lottery and hunt one of those criters.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Great post. I've been putting in for years, but I never thought of a pity hike I'm too busy sulking. Great can-do attitide.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

BlackCoyote
Spike
Spike

Post by BlackCoyote » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:50 pm

your pity walk, looked like a great hunt even without the tag....love to take that walk let alone hunt that awesome of an animal. best of luck in the next drawing!

saysomethin
Fawn
Fawn

Post by saysomethin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:16 am

Nice. Ten points! I'm feeling your time is near my friend... I've got three points in Montana for a goat...can't wait for that hunt. Spent alot of time up in Montana and it's crazy..all summer long you can find the goats everywhere at 10k but come almost first day on the dot of the hunting season and they all bunch up and just move....you won't see them in their normal spots that they've been all summer. If you find them, then comes the task of picking one out. And if they're up in the clouds, literally. In . The. Clouds., you'll have to wait them out...heck of a hunt! I'm ready!
...also, i know this is looking upfield before you catch the ball but what kind of mount will you go for after the hunt? I've been impressed with both lifesize and a rug/skull combo..that hide is amzing and a flat rug sits about 6 inches off the ground!

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Great post! :thumb I wish I lived close enough to do my own self pity hike, great idea! I want a goat real bad too! I've been trying and building points in CO and MT. Good luck to you and your future draws! :thumb

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:50 am

saysomethin wrote:Nice. Ten points! I'm feeling your time is near my friend... I've got three points in Montana for a goat...can't wait for that hunt. Spent alot of time up in Montana and it's crazy..all summer long you can find the goats everywhere at 10k but come almost first day on the dot of the hunting season and they all bunch up and just move....you won't see them in their normal spots that they've been all summer. If you find them, then comes the task of picking one out. And if they're up in the clouds, literally. In . The. Clouds., you'll have to wait them out...heck of a hunt! I'm ready!
...also, i know this is looking upfield before you catch the ball but what kind of mount will you go for after the hunt? I've been impressed with both lifesize and a rug/skull combo..that hide is amzing and a flat rug sits about 6 inches off the ground!
No room for life size mounts in the current house. I do like the half body mount with the front legs posed as if the goat is jumping accross a small gorge. That pose with a rock back would look great on the wall. Pricey but would look great.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."