Cougars without the dogs?

Talk anything related to predators.
amp713
2 point
2 point

Cougars without the dogs?

Post by amp713 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:40 pm

Well hello all!
I was wondering if anyone has heard of a way to hunt cougars without using dogs?? I want to hunt them with a bow but dont know if they would respond to calls, and im not sure if bait is legal where i live. Im worried they are way to smart and sly to put a stalk together on....
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

numbnutz
2 point
2 point

Re: Cougars without the dogs?

Post by numbnutz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:20 pm

In oregon we havent been able to use bait/dogs since 1996. They will come in to calls, I know of a few people here to get them that way. You could also find a carcuse and set up down wind. that can be affective. I know some people to glass rocks cliffs in the middle of the day and stalk close enough to pull the trigger. So without bait/dogs it can be done, just a a little tougher. good luck.
lifes short, Hunt hard!!

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Do you know how long of shots they were generally taking? is my bow idea starting to sound like winning the lottery? and do you think they were responding to the same calls as coyotes and wolfs? just jackrabbits and baby fawns and such? does anyone make a cougar kitten distress call haha!
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

numbnutz
2 point
2 point

Post by numbnutz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Thay will come to the same distress calls as yotes and bears and such. your best bet with bow would be calling or setting up on a kill and waiting.
lifes short, Hunt hard!!

Thunder Head
Spike
Spike

Post by Thunder Head » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:08 am

I have an article in a predator magazine about Steve Graig from arizona. He calls in cougars for clients using there own vocalazations.
He dosent say anything about bow hunting though.

www.AZPredatorHunts.com
Have bow will travel !!!

For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Post by For The Love of It » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:35 pm

If i were going to try and kill a cat without using dogs I would wait for there to be snow on the ground and find yourself a fresh track and take off after it. If you are patient enough and in good enough shape you will eventually catch up to it.

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:52 pm

We have had some luck calling them in with predator calls, they come awfully slow and could be tough to get them to bow range.
They don't make a lot of mistakes. :-$
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

brn2hunt
4 point
4 point

Post by brn2hunt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Here In SD we cant hunt them with dogs and lots of people get them every year. Either by waiting for snow and tracking them, glassing cliffs, or calling. Most of them are taken around here using a cow elk call.
"Ne A La Chasse"

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:18 am

Hunting cats without dogs:
I have called in two cats, was not looking for cats either time:
1996 in the Snowy Range in Wyoming, it was a very cold morning, got into position nestled in some rocks where I could see land below me with some good game trails, sun came up and started warming me up and the rocks around me. When I woke up (as if it has never happen to you zzz ) there was a cat sitting about 15yds away looking at me, I guess my snoring must have got his attention, it was not working to get the elk in.

Winter of 2004, in the Gila in New Mexico, hunting coyotes: set up with my back to a big tree, as the sun game over the ridge, the yotes sounded off, I was about to call and a herd of elk started milling my way, I watched the elk for away and gave the distress rabbit call a blow, before I could finish off to my right was a cat coming in, looked left and the elk where gone.

So try calls and if that does not work try snoring

Good luck

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:00 pm

GOOD THING YOU WOKE UP WHEN YOU DID!!!!

and was that second cat just following the elk? Did he ignore your call??