Coyote hunting in Norther Utah.... In a blind??

Talk anything related to predators.
JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Coyote hunting in Norther Utah.... In a blind??

Post by JimmyB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:05 pm

Has anyone hunted Coyotes from a blind? Successful? Unsuccessful? Or any thoughts, opinions or ideas on this? I've never hunted from a popup/standup blind but my buddy just bought one today and really really wants to use it coyote hunting tomorrow even though I know he has the same questions and concerns as me but I'm guessing he just really want to try out his new toy cause his first excuse was "Well if it rains or snows tomorrow then we'll be comfortable and dry"

From what I've read online it seems that people are on both sides of the fence. Some say blinds or worthless for Coyotes and will spook em, and others say a blind is the greatest thing ever for hunting coyotes. I've never used a blind before but I've seen on hunting shows (especially for whitetail on ranches) they will set up blinds weeks or months before the hunt starts so that the animals gets used to seeing it so come hunting season they aren't spooked by it, and I'd think they same thing would apply for Coyotes or any game in that matter?

I'm hoping someone who reads this will have hunted in this same area or knows the are and can give some pointers. We're going to be hunting close to Corrine and Bear River which is just northwest of Brigham City. I've hunted pheasants just north of Bear River so I'm guessing it's gonna be wide open sagebrush with some hills and maybe a few scattered trees. I've never hunted Coyotes up there but if they're anything like the Coyotes in Southwest Utah that are hunted almost daily and laugh at most the hunters that hunt em' then I can't see a blind working hahaha
Shooter McGavin

lobowatch
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Coyote hunting in Norther Utah.... In a blind??

Post by lobowatch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Who knows? It may work out, especially if it is easy to put up and take down. Most yote set ups are short lived at most. If nothing is happening in 20 minutes to half hour, hunters move to set up down the road. Anyway, let us know how it goes, good luck! :thumb

JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Re: Coyote hunting in Norther Utah.... In a blind??

Post by JimmyB » Mon May 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Well we didn't use the blind but we did use some of that "sniper" net cover and set up on a high ledge overlooking sage and small open fields with lots of water but didn't see any coyotes! We did however find lots of jacks and picked em off with our rifles! At 200 yards with a 300 winmag there wasn't much of a rabbit left hahaha
Shooter McGavin