Bear success in Wyoming

Talk anything related to predators.
southwind
Monster
Monster

Bear success in Wyoming

Post by southwind » Thu May 26, 2011 1:05 pm

I bagged my first bear last Friday in the Greys river drainage in Wyoming. I took him on the fifth day of the hunt which included a thirty mile atv trek through snow to camp and then a daily ritual of 30 min atv ride+30 minute Argo ride+ 30 minute snow shoe to my hunt spot. Needless to say the snows in this area were unprecedented and added a whole now element to the hunt with rain and snow every day. I love it actually.

First day I had a small 2.5 yr old come in.

Day two he was back but after circling in on the bait he suddenly dropped his snack and tore out. There was a bigger bear there but he never showed that night.

Day three brought nothing but great views and happy to be alive and bear hunting in Wyoming, plus one of our other hunters bagged his bear.

Day four I spot a nice bear briefly coming down a slope towards the bait at about 7 p.m. Anxious and and adrenaline flowing I thought for sure he was on his way in but he was a no show. Day four did also bring luck to my buddy who tagged out with a nice boar.

Day five at about the time to make my accent the rains opened up and after a couple of hours and time fading I'm having thoughts of maybe not getting a bear. At 8:15 p.m. I spot legs through the trees and sure enough the bear I saw the night before was coming in. I took a lot of time and studied him closely and at 8:25 decided it was time to take this bear.

I really enjoyed this trip and my mind and thoughts are still back there on the snow covered mountain.

He squared a tad over six foot with a 17 14/16th skull

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Re: Bear success in Wyoming

Post by Tonoonyi » Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Nice bear, congrats.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.