Coyote attacks in Colorado

Talk anything related to predators.
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Coyote attacks in Colorado

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:03 pm

GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. -- Some Greenwood Village residents said several dogs and a boy were attacked by coyotes that they say have become aggressive.

One resident said three dogs have been killed by coyotes and several others injured. Residents said they can't let their dogs outside alone or let their children play outside.

Two different residents said a boy was attacked by a coyote while riding his skateboard. They said he was able to fend off the coyote with the skateboard.

Residents said the coyotes are going into the back yards of nearby homes and in some cases jumping over fences.

Michelle Wilson said a coyote mauled her small dog four days before Christmas.

"There were just hunks of flesh hanging off his neck and pierce wounds all over his neck," Wilson said.

Greenwood Village residents estimate that more than 20 coyotes live in the area and said they believe they have become more brazen and aggressive.

"When we walk in the morning the coyotes are following us or are walking parallel to us," said concerned resident Judith Hahl.

The local police department is hosting a meeting Thursday night to address the concern.

But Wilson said the only answer is to thin the coyote population.

"Humans and wild animals don't co-exist," Wilson said.

Others said the coyotes aren't to blame.

"I think they should address the fact that we have moved into the coyotes' neighborhood," said resident Linda Israel.

The coyotes have been attacking mostly small dogs but some said they fear small children could be next.

"The children in our neighborhood are what are dramatically concerning me," Wilson said.

Police said they hope to educate residents at Thursday's meeting about wildlife in the area as well as listen to their concerns. They said they then hope to draft up some sort of plan to deal with the issues.

The meeting is from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Greenwood Village City Hall.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 pm

Wow interesting, lets get the bounty $$ out and get rid of some predators. :)

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:57 pm

hehe i can help them with some population control :)
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:48 pm

I've heard of them attacking dogs but never humans. Only way I can think of them attacking humans is when they're cornered or maybe rabbies? I do like the resident who said, "I think they should address the fact that we have moved into the coyotes' neighborhood." A lot of truth to that statement, but I doubt they are ready to tear their house down and take out any fences.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks Hawk. First I've heard about this.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:46 am

ABert, I agree.

As far as them attacking humans, I've heard of it now and again. In fact, we had an incident here in WA just a couple months ago. Rare but it does happen (Never heard of one killin' anyone though).

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:52 am

Open bow season in the open spaces... When will the front range learn.

kadejones2
Monster
Monster

Post by kadejones2 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:54 pm

i think we need to start to kill them before they start to kill more people :222

Wharpoley
Spike
Spike

Post by Wharpoley » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:37 am

I will be helping this problem in about 2 weeks!!

I wished they would allow us to hunt them here on the AF Academy. Every night at about 8:45 I have a pack come right next to my house. :arrow