Bear kills moose in Alaska driveway

Talk anything related to predators.
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Bear kills moose in Alaska driveway

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed May 09, 2007 8:01 am

Cool article I read this morning. Although the article says the bear weighed 500 pounds and the moose was full grown, they both look rather young in the photo. What do you think?

Still pretty cool incident either way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOMER, Alaska - Odd sounds outside their home woke Gary and Terri Lyon early Sunday morning, so Gary got up to check it out. He looked outside and saw a 500-pound grizzly bear killing an adult moose in their driveway.

"I saw this wildlife spectacle of a full-grown brown bear on a moose and the moose fighting for its life," Gary said.

The couple put their dog inside, grabbed their cameras and started filming the attack as the grizzly battled the moose down the driveway, finally killing it. They posted the video on YouTube.

"She tore apart the chest cavity, ripped out the heart and ate it," Gary said. "It was like she knew that's what kept it alive."

Only a few mouthfuls later, the bear left the carcass and ran into the woods.

The Lyons contacted authorities, who sent state wildlife biologist Thomas McDonough to remove the dead moose. He brought it a half-mile down the road and contacted a chartity to harvest the meat. But he suspected the bear would return.

The prediction was right. The bear returned later that night, judging by the fresh tracks found Monday morning. The Lyons are now locking their doors, trying to avoid a more dangerous confrontation.

"I've lived here for almost 30 years, and I've never had to shoot anything out of defense of property," Gary said. "It was just doing its own thing that the species has done forever. Unfortunately, it was in our yard."

___
Attachments
BEAR.jpg
BEAR.jpg (104.93 KiB) Viewed 4044 times

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed May 09, 2007 9:40 am

Tough to tell from the photo, but the bear looks like an adult and full sized to me. Cool story! I've been to Homer once, lots of bears in and around the area.

Nevadahunter
4 point
4 point

Post by Nevadahunter » Wed May 09, 2007 11:13 am

wow! the moose don't look that big to me but the bear looks full size. the moose looks like a teen maybe a little smaller. (???)
If God Had Intended For Us To Be Vegitarians, Why Did He Make Animals With Meat?
Unless You Haven't Heard..I'm a Pretty Big Deal Around Here.

ABert

Post by ABert » Wed May 09, 2007 11:29 am

Gotta agree, the moose looks on the smallish side. If that is a full grown moose, that's one big bear!
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

kadejones2
Monster
Monster

Post by kadejones2 » Wed May 09, 2007 4:01 pm

that would be cool to watch

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed May 09, 2007 4:12 pm

i guess you can watch the video on you tube, but you have to sign in to make sure your 18.-- where is homer at ? it would be small for a coastal grizzly, brown bear . but maybe average for an inland grizz, the inlands are alot smaller. when we went to ak for our moose/grizz hunt we would have been shooting bears that were 5-600 lbs. still big but nothing compared to a coastal bear. either way the moose does look small.
Last edited by killerbee on Wed May 09, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Utahbowhunter
Monster
Monster

Post by Utahbowhunter » Wed May 09, 2007 6:31 pm

yeah... moose looks small. bear looks about right! (???)

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Wed May 09, 2007 6:55 pm

wow crazy story. ill have to look for it on youtube
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

shed hunter
2 point
2 point

Post by shed hunter » Wed May 16, 2007 5:04 pm

thats crazy right there! good post! =D>
bow hunter