A Question About Plot Hounds.

Talk anything related to predators.
a_bow_nut

A Question About Plot Hounds.

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:38 pm

My wife has decided that she likes plot hounds. As she has been looking into them she has heard that they fight amungst themselves. Does anybody know about this?

What kind of hounds do all of you like to run and why?

Thanks
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Re: A Question About Plot Hounds.

Post by AntlersOutWest » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:47 am

Im proud to say we have Black and Tan and black and white hounds (Border Collie)
Sure laugh it up .. My little border collie is one of the best coon hounds out there.. Not kidding.. She has a great nose and will track them down faster than the hound dogs.
My grandpa has been a houndsmen his whole life. He always had a mixture of plot, black and Tan, blue tick and walkers.
The only times I recall them fighting amonst themselves in when they were treeing bears. The dogs tend to get aggressive at the tree. But other then that I believe it is in how you raise them.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:28 am

AntlersOutWest got it. Plotts are a little more gritty, usually, and are commonly run on bear (not that it's un common for people to throw one or two in their lion pack.. but bear seems to be most common IMO). As far as fighting with other dogs, You're specific breed isn't going to determine that. If you raise him from the pup do the best you can, and ALWAYS be quick to discipline with ANY aggressive activity towards another dog or human. I really don't think you should have a problem though.
Keep us posted! Congrats!

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:59 am

After reading my post I can see that I need to clarify what I mean by fighting. She was told that if you have more than one plott hound that they will be short tempered with in their breed and fight with each other. I didn't mean to say with other dogs or people in general. It seems a little strange that the breed of the dog would make a difference to me so I had to ask.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Houndy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Houndy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:27 pm

They are gritty. I have had 3 at one time with 5 other breeds. It's all how you raise themjust like any thing else. If you train them right you shoudn't have any problems. They are great dogs I still have one now.

JOE TROYER
Fawn
Fawn

Post by JOE TROYER » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Some plotts can be aggressive. If handled right and if you get one from parents that were not aggressive to other dogs you should be fine. Dogs do not know the difference between breeds or color of other dogs. Neutered males or females are less likely to be aggressive. Hope this helps.

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 am

Always had Redbone coonhounds as a kid. Here in MO all they had to run were coons but I would have liked to see what they could have done with bears and lions out west. I cried like a baby when my last hound died when I was away at college many moons ago.