Coyote hunting at Quemado NM

Talk anything related to predators.
M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Coyote hunting at Quemado NM

Post by M.Bird » Mon May 12, 2008 1:43 pm

Finally got to get some quality time with the coyote hunting, left camp @ O dark thirty , It was cold, very Cold, about 22 Deg.
Walked out to one of the better places to call, 22 elk where between me and where I wanted to go, had to make the long detour into the woods to get around the Elk, finally got there. New guy that I was hunting with, we sat up around a large deadfall on a small rolling ridge overlooking large flats, elk still in place on the flats to my left working up to the tree line. Got settled down and started the first call, Elk went crazy, they start running everywhere, three cows and a calf hit the knoll about 20 yards behind us and go to the meadow and stop, then run back to the herd and they all hit the timber. Guy hunting with me had never seen elk up close, now he want to go elk hunting with me.
Back to yotes, on the third series of calls, here comes a pair, running hard, they come to the barb wire fence go through the fence and hit the brakes, about 300yds out. They sit there looking up the hill (where the elk went), they head into the timber. Getting in to the 4th and last series for that location, I see the Pair hauling AXX out of the timber though the fence and out of sight. Not sure what was there but they did not want any part of it.
Set up in another location about a mile away and made the 1st series of calls had a single come right up and decided to sit down about 125 yds away, he just wanted to give by 52gr HPBT a new home though his chest, continued to call but nothing else want to show.
Went to get the dog and take a picture, pull out the digital camera, turn it on and nothing happens. Dead Batteries :tz , Nice your Male just over a year, still have a good hide.

M. Bird

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Re: Coyote hunting at Quemado NM

Post by Buckmaster » Mon May 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Congrats on the yote, Have you ever shed hunted that area? As for the camera....LOL has happened to me many times..
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Tue May 13, 2008 8:25 am

Did not look for any sheds, in the heard two of them had started growing new racks, I’m trying to get back there over the long weekend. With better batteries, I will look for some sheds, lots of big bulls in the area.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu May 15, 2008 7:05 am

M.Bird, Congrats on getting back into the mountains and killing a yote to boot.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6