DIY Lion Hunt

Talk anything related to predators.
JLROOT
2 point
2 point

DIY Lion Hunt

Post by JLROOT » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:46 am

Ok! This is my situation. (By the way my spelling sucks, so take it easy on me)

I know of an area where mountain lions are known to frequent. It is an area where CDOT occasionly dumps road kill, deer, elk etc. I can not use hounds or electronic calls. I will be using a 12ga with a rifled barrel,scope zeroed to 100yds and sabot slugs (same setup I will be using for elk/bear).

The plan: Obtain some mountain lion scent (preferably female in heat if it is available). Place a tree stand in a tall tree with good fields of view/fire. Place lion scent in a good shooting lane. Once in the stand use a predetor call for 5 - 10 minutes. Set back and see what develops.

Plan B. Same as above except stay on the ground. I would position myself so that the chance of approach from the rear would be virtualy non-existanct (base of a cliff, etc).

Yeah! I know. I am a few fries short of a happy meal. However I can not afford a guided hunt with hounds and I want to get a chance at a lion real bad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

huntingal
Spike
Spike

Re: DIY Lion Hunt

Post by huntingal » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:27 pm

I don't see why you wouldn't have a chance. Of course you have to wait for the season opener (mid Nov. I think) and make sure the unit you are hunting in is still open for lion. The DOW has change things around a bit. They still use the quota system but now the new quotas start every Nov instead of Jan.
Now for the hunting. If at all possible scout the area first and try to determine when and from where a lion might be comming from, this will probably take a few trips and will be easier with new snow. Try to set up on a travel route with good visability and your backdoor protected if you are on the ground. Calling may take ten minutes or an hour or more, be patient and observent. Like most cats, one minute there is nothing there and the next-bam-kitty starring at you. The scent idea is not a bad one. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Personally I'd take the tree route. Sure they can climb trees but at least you know that one isn't right on top of you.

BTW have you ever stared into the eyes of a mountain lion? If staring the devil in they eyes had an equivelent then that would be it.

Good luck on your hunt.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Is it legal to hunt lions over bait there? :-k

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:56 pm

I know if you kill an animal you can legally hunt over the carcass as long as you do not move it or mess with it in any way to make it more enticing.

Example you kill an elk dress it quarter it pack it out you can legally hunt over the carcass and gut pile but you can not drag it to a area that you have seen animals (bears, Lions)

The Carcass has to be were it was legally killed and dressed.

He may be completely legal because he did not place the animals there he is just hunting and there happens to be an area where road kill is dumped.

I would still check with the wardens though to make sure.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:02 am

THE LORD IS MY ROCK