Bear Taxidermy Question

Talk anything related to predators.
tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Bear Taxidermy Question

Post by tommycaller » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:37 pm

The bear I shot in Alaska is almost finished by my taxidermist. It is a full body mount that is walking uphill from your right to left and his head is turned looking out into the room. He is mounted on a stand that is made of 2 x 4's and plywood. I would like to find some artificial rocks (light-weight) to make the habitat out of. I was wondering if there is an inexpensive way to constuct fake rocks or to buy artificial rocks at a decent price. I was going to buy sheets of moss to cover the rocks with. I found a Sitka blacktail buck skull on the beach that is a nice mossy green color to add in there as well. I thought there may be an instructional video or something that teaches you how to make fake rocks????? (???)
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Re: Bear Taxidermy Question

Post by M.Bird » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:17 pm

Making of Fake rocks:
First you need to find some white Styrofoam (local arts and craft) I used the largest round that you can find. Cut them into the shape that you want (I started by cutting in half them smaller from there). Once you ha e your rocks shaped do a test lay-out on the platform. Now for the color and texture, you will need some fine sand and mortar mix, mix sand mortar to a thick slurry. Place this mix on the rock for texture you can use a course sponge, let dry over night (12-18 hrs). now they are ready for painting.
Best of Luck

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:35 pm

Thanks alot, You make it sound easy????? Do you have pictures of any of your work/rocks? I would like to see them. It would be a heck of alot cheaper to do it myself and I think I have a good idea of what you are talking about. Thanks again, Tom

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:54 pm

I wish I still had some of the stuff I did, that was all lost when I went to Korea for a year and the (now) X-wife took me to the cleaners, I learned this from a special effects person in California.

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:18 am

I buy alot of stuff from Van Dykes Taxidermy.
http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com
Good luck

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:36 pm

Well, I built a stand and bought a bunch of stuff and started the "job" today. I used the blow in insulation that comes in an aerosol can and un-evenly foamed in the area where the bear will be standing. I then added some paper machete rocks that were actually eggs that I cut in half. I sprayed the rocks with the spray paint that looks like stone. I covered the foam with spanish moss and added a little vegetation (ferns) and the end result looks very realistic. I think it will work out just fine. The bear is not done yet but will be done in the next two weeks. It is dry but needs to have the finishing touches done. I will post a picture when I get it finished up.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:09 pm

Looking forward to seeing the final creation! I'm glad I read this post in case I ever need to do anything like it as well.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:11 pm

I got the bear back today and set him in his "new crib" :thumb I hope the pictures show off the bear and the habitat box that I built half as well as they actually look. I am happy with both Bob's work and mine. Enjoy!
habitat01 copy.jpg

here is another pic of the bottom
habitat02.jpg
Ant the final pic of the great job that Bob did.
Bear 08.jpg

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Very cool. Nice job on the habitat. How about a close up shot of the head.
Deadi

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:22 pm

Here you go. He has a 20 1/8" skull.
Attachments
Bear Head.jpg