Father's bow shot kills grizzly attacking his son

Talk anything related to predators.
northern
2 point
2 point

Re: Father's bow shot kills grizzly attacking his son

Post by northern » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:45 pm

WillysDad wrote:O.K. Man outruns animal that can accelerate faster than a race horse. Gets mauled by a 500 lb. bear and gets a scratch over his eye. Father shoots a charging bear and kills it with one arrow.

RIGHT! I have a unicorn in my kitchen free to the highest bidder.Saddle her up and off you fly. Ask Santa Claus to see if the Easter Bunny is done with her first.

+1

and his hat must not of fell off either...........see the hat line.......something funny there

brn2hunt
4 point
4 point

Post by brn2hunt » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:28 pm

Not sure if the arrow he is holding is the one that he shot it with but it seems pretty clean of blood to me :-k
"Ne A La Chasse"

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Post by WillysDad » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:59 pm

It's not bent? Didn't it bend and strike the heart also. Live with these bears and tell me you can escape even a brief mauling without permanent disfigurement. I've watched grizz much smaller than that one flip downed trees (that all of us posters together couldn't move) like toothpicks. Then tear it open like it was wrapped in paper.
The more people I meet the more I prefer dogs!

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:51 pm

WillysDad wrote:O.K. Man outruns animal that can accelerate faster than a race horse. Gets mauled by a 500 lb. bear and gets a scratch over his eye. Father shoots a charging bear and kills it with one arrow.

RIGHT! I have a unicorn in my kitchen free to the highest bidder.Saddle her up and off you fly. Ask Santa Claus to see if the Easter Bunny is done with her first.
It's nice to see that the bears do not always win, and sad to hear people say it's a hoax because the man walked away and the bear didn't. Looks to me like he is pretty messed up. Certainly not as bad as it could have been, but just because he got to go home with all of his digits still attached does not mean it's not true? It means he's one heck of a lucky guy. Also in regards to the "bending arrow". Read the story again, the father shot the bear twice. "The bear, though mortally wounded, charged the younger Leming again...." Not until he shot it the second time did the bear turn away.

We in no way should underestimate the power and ability these bears have to kill, yet at the same time we should never discount a fathers ability to defend his son.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:17 pm

79Ford wrote: It's nice to see that the bears do not always win, and sad to hear people say it's a hoax because the man walked away and the bear didn't. Looks to me like he is pretty messed up. Certainly not as bad as it could have been, but just because he got to go home with all of his digits still attached does not mean it's not true? It means he's one heck of a lucky guy. Also in regards to the "bending arrow". Read the story again, the father shot the bear twice. "The bear, though mortally wounded, charged the younger Leming again...." Not until he shot it the second time did the bear turn away.

We in no way should underestimate the power and ability these bears have to kill, yet at the same time we should never discount a fathers ability to defend his son.
+1 Well said.
Deadi

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Post by WillysDad » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:27 pm

The people who are lucky only require minor plastic surgery and scalp reconstruction. Until you've seen a grizzly sprint you can't truly understand where I'm coming from. There is no human who has ever walked on the face of the earth who can get more than a step or two without being taken down by a grizz. Ben Johnson, Jessie Owens, James Jet, no one! They can accelerate from 0>35mph. in 25 feet. Faster than a Thoroughbred Race Horse! That is a FIVE HUNDRED POUND GRIZZLY BEAR! He can snap a bull elks neck like a twig! Sorry it's not even probable. :>/

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:49 pm

only if youve seen tons of bears can a person say that. not just one incodent. they are capeble---IT'S NOT PROBABLE i spent alot of time in northern new mexico where there is a ton of black bears. through the yEARS THERE WERE PLENTY OF FALSE CHARGES. most of them were a bluff!! to think that every grizzly attack is a whole hearted death sentance is ignorance. a good whooping will make the bears point plenty of times.
to think this story is impossible is dumb. unlikly -yes- but there has been a lot crazier thing happen. i'll believe it till i have a reason not to.
great shot by the dad in a once - in - a - lifetime - situation!! GREAT STORY!!

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Post by WillysDad » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:26 am

KB, I've seen tons of grizzlies. I have had a dozen close encounters. Bluff charged more than once. Black bears and grizzlies are worlds different. People who get a "good whooping" usually have at least teeth scrapes on their skulls. A wounded grizz is about the most aggressive animal in the lower 48. With his prey drive stimulated. Sorry! :>/