Callin Dogs?

Talk anything related to predators.
SomeGuy01
Spike
Spike

Callin Dogs?

Post by SomeGuy01 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:07 pm

Just wondering how many have been out calling dogs this fall, and how did you do? I think I will go this weekend and get my coyote season started.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Re: Callin Dogs?

Post by M.Bird » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:34 am

I’ve been out most of the summer calling in New Mexico, some places are good and some are a waste of time. Went to an area (recommended by Game and Fish), There is something wrong with the area. Area is BLM land, has small finger valleys, water tanks, native vegetation but a lack of animals. Besides no yotes, I did not see any song birds, no rabbits, no ground squirrels, no bigger birds (crows/hawks). But the think that I noticed most was no ant hills. But there was cattle out there grazing. Not sure what is wrong with the soil but something is. I’m going out this weekend, to the known place, should have pics on Monday.
Good Luck
M.Bird

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:41 am

I was up bear hunting a couple weeks ago and had our hounds chasing a bear in a steep scrub oak canyon. On our way out the side of the mountain started yelping. we had 6 yotes barking at us the entire way out. I want to plug them off but didnt want to scare my bear out for the next morning. we had one about 10 yards away and almost followed us down to the truck. Now my bear hunt is done for a month I think im going back up there to get a couple yotes.
Do you know what they are going for this year??

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:28 am

My buddy went out two weeks ago with his Primos Lil' Dog and used the pup whine and howls. He said he had two come in right off the bat with that combo. He only got one then he went to another place and had no luck with the pup calls or distress calls. That is the only yote huntin I have heard about this year though.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

SomeGuy01
Spike
Spike

Post by SomeGuy01 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:20 pm

Sweet I will be going on sunday as well and will also hopefully have pictures to share. As far as what they are going for this year I have not heard anything. Once the pelts are good I will be skinning and fleshing any I kill. That way I can at least get a little money out of the season to make up for gas.

huntingal
Spike
Spike

Post by huntingal » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Called in one with a lip squeak to ten feet while bow hunting for elk-gave him a pass for the experiance :)

Now that bow season is over I can get to calling proper, just got to line up a babysitter :-k

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:07 am

One of my barn cats decoyed one for me the other morning. My 6 year old, came in saying, "Dad, there's a coyote trying to get one of our cats". I got my .22 long rifle and shot him. The next morning, I had a breakfast meeting. On the way out I see another yote, up by our rock pile. I turned around, went back to the house, got the .22 and wacked him too. I love shooting coyotes. :)
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

hayden 3006
Fawn
Fawn

Post by hayden 3006 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:24 pm

went out this weekend made five calls called in one female.

WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Post by WillysDad » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:55 pm

Couple of weeks ago I called one in to about 50yds. He stayed on the opposite side of a big fir tree. I changed calls to try and get him out for a shot. He turned,started walking,made 2 leaps and sprinted away. About 2 sec. later I heard a loud snap coming in from the opposite direction. I moved uphill for a better look. It was a grizzly (**!!) He walked within about 65 yds. of me, turned around and went back the way he came.

I think I'm going to wait until there fur is prime and the bears are hibernating :thumb .
The more people I meet the more I prefer dogs!

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:38 pm

WillysDad wrote:Couple of weeks ago I called one in to about 50yds. He stayed on the opposite side of a big fir tree. I changed calls to try and get him out for a shot. He turned,started walking,made 2 leaps and sprinted away. About 2 sec. later I heard a loud snap coming in from the opposite direction. I moved uphill for a better look. It was a grizzly (**!!) He walked within about 65 yds. of me, turned around and went back the way he came.

I think I'm going to wait until there fur is prime and the bears are hibernating :thumb .
Sounds like a safe plan to me. I think i'd have to take my pants to the cleaners after that. I dont care to have a n encounter with any bear ever, unless I am the one hunting them and they dont know i am there.