Callin Dogs?

Talk anything related to predators.
WillysDad
Spike
Spike

Re: Callin Dogs?

Post by WillysDad » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:44 pm

79Ford wrote:
WillysDad wrote:Couple of weeks ago I called one in to about 50yds. He stayed on the opposite side of a big fir tree. I changed calls to try and get him out for a shot. He turned,started walking,made 2 leaps and sprinted away. About 2 sec. later I heard a loud snap coming in from the opposite direction. I moved uphill for a better look. It was a grizzly (**!!) He walked within about 65 yds. of me, turned around and went back the way he came.

I think I'm going to wait until there fur is prime and the bears are hibernating :thumb .
Sounds like a safe plan to me. I think i'd have to take my pants to the cleaners after that. I dont care to have a n encounter with any bear ever, unless I am the one hunting them and they dont know i am there.
I don't think he knew I was there. Although they still scare me I'm kind of used to them. Lions freak me a bit. They really worry me.
The more people I meet the more I prefer dogs!

SomeGuy01
Spike
Spike

Post by SomeGuy01 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:08 am

So me and my huntin partner went out today and made a few stands. I believe it was our third, and worst looking stand but we decided to call it anyway. And wouldt you know, after about four minutes we get one coming in. She trotted into about 60 yards and my partner put the hammer down on her. We immediatly began calling again, and within a minute here came another one from the same spot the first one came through. This one was not willing to come all the way in after the shot , and only offered a strait on shot , and I flat out missed. I have no idea where i hit, and it took off and disappeard pretty quick. Not to bad for the first time out this year. Heading to the range tommorow just to make sure it wasnt the guns fault:)

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:17 pm

I went out about three weeks ago and got my first ever coyote. My brother has become somewhat of an expert caller. He brought in four dogs on our outing. My youngest brother was along and was able to get his first coyote also. Per my brother this year is a slow year. We called alot of stands. One would expect to have seen a dozen or so coyotes for the time we put in.

My brother went back out with a work buddy last week and got seven. When I figure out how to post photos I have a picture of one of his hunts from last year. He and two friends got 27 dogs in two days.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:02 pm

NotEnufTags wrote:I went out about three weeks ago and got my first ever coyote. My brother has become somewhat of an expert caller. He brought in four dogs on our outing. My youngest brother was along and was able to get his first coyote also. Per my brother this year is a slow year. We called alot of stands. One would expect to have seen a dozen or so coyotes for the time we put in.

My brother went back out with a work buddy last week and got seven. When I figure out how to post photos I have a picture of one of his hunts from last year. He and two friends got 27 dogs in two days.
what state and county? I dont want a secret spot but sounds like a deer hunt I had a few years out by Delta Utah. We killed 14 in 5 days.
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:02 pm

We were out west of Delta. Did some rock hounding too. Good times.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:16 pm

NotEnufTags wrote:We were out west of Delta. Did some rock hounding too. Good times.
Small world man :thumb
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:28 am

kinzysdad wrote:
NotEnufTags wrote:We were out west of Delta. Did some rock hounding too. Good times.
Small world man :thumb
Here's a pic of my first yote. Small but at least it won't get big off of fawn venison.

While out there we called in this badger. He stayed out a ways so the picture isn't perfect but pretty good considering how far out he was.

Happy dog calling.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Here's the pictures that I said I'd post when I got a little better at this whole forum thing.

My brother guides for CODA Depredation Services. He had a magazine writer out last weekend. They were able to shoot three. He said this year is a slow year. The coyote numbers tend to go up and done and are cyclical. The photos were from two years ago instead of last year. He said he went out once by himself that year and got eight in one afternoon.

Here's another pic of that hunt. Some diehards may recognize them from a Predator Masters magazine article.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:06 am

I got out again to call the wiley coyote. My seven year old got a BB gun for Christmas and wanted to tag along. My brother went with us to act as the expert caller. Kind of a slow day but we did get this one.

In case your wondering, I did make sure that I sat with a dirt background or in front of a dark sage brush. The natural gear camo is inexpensive but is about the best for Utah west desert coyote hunting, it matches the dirt color exactly. Kings desert shadow is good too.

The day was awesome. We only called in two dogs but had this sunrise as an awesome start to the day. Doesn't get much better than spending time with family, and passing the love of the outdoors on to the next generation.