Washington bear hunting advise

Talk anything related to predators.
crunch14
2 point
2 point

Washington bear hunting advise

Post by crunch14 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:14 am

Hey there, I am hoping to get my first bear next season so figured I'd start planning early. It looks like bait is still against the law if I read my game reg's right, so whats a guy to do? We have a place on stevens pass so I was planning on going out there. Any advice would be helpful.

I've heard that predator calls can be helpful? If so what kind?

Thanks
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: Washington bear hunting advise

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:52 am

Rabbit in distress and fawn in distress has worked for a friend of mine in the past for calling black bears, I would imagine that a calf elk in distress would work as well.

He likes to hunt September Late and October early for them here in Colorado and has had some success with it.

He does spot and stalk and will set up in a area that has bear sign and start a calling session all while constantly glassing and keeping a look out for a bear or other predator coming in to investigate. After about 20 minutes or so he will move on 50-100 yards and continue again, sometimes he will end up just glassing one up and spot and stalk from there.

Give it a try calling a bear can work, just remember to watch your scent and be very alert at all times Mountain lions often come to these calls too, although you may never know it.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Re: Washington bear hunting advise

Post by crunch14 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:22 am

Cool, I usually get a cat tag just incase. Always gotta keep your head on a swivel sounds like. Do they usually come in with the wind like Coyote?

Now to find out if electronic calls are legal.

Thanks for the tips.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY