Coyotes 1 Me )

Talk anything related to predators.
M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Coyotes 1 Me )

Post by M.Bird » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:18 pm

Coyotes 1 Me 0
Had the opportunity to play hooky from work, what a better day to get a couple of coyotes or I though so.
I was able to get to one of good parking spot, yes we had about 2 ft of snow last week, but I got there, trekked thought the snow to my first setup, start my calls, no wind, but a little cold, I see a dog (it stands out against the snow) moving towards me in the flats, long ways off, here comes a train, looks like it will pick up 4 cars on the spur and it does, in the path the dog was taking, lost track as the train does it job and gets the cars out of there, about 15 minutes. Start my call series again, no sign of the dog, go though second set and here comes 2 people on snowshoes with three dogs, I blow a couple of calls just to make the dogs act up on their leases (it worked). I let them pass; I’ve been at the stand for 45 minutes and have not done 2 complete series yet. It does no good, nothing coming. Pick up and push though the snow over the top to the next finger about ½ mile, get into place and start, here comes the crows (good sign), but nothing coming, do my sets and nothing. Move to third location just get ready to set up, look to my blind side and I’m busted before I set up, he starts warning barks, I pull out my howler and bark back at him but he wants now of that and just keeps warning backs. No dogs but a good afternoon in the field.
Have a great day and a BETTER tomorrow

V/R
M. Bird

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Coyotes 1 Me )

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:22 pm

I feel your pain, I wouldn't want to know what my all-time record is against these crafty critters, but that's what makes it feel so good when you do connect.----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Re: Coyotes 1 Me )

Post by NotEnufTags » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:39 pm

My last outing a couple of weeks ago ended in Coyotes 2 me 0 also. The first set up had me looking directly into the sun. We had a yote come in to about 200 yards but I couldn't find him in the scope due to the direct sunlight. At another stand we had one park itself on a ridge at 623 yeards out. We could coax him in any closer so I tried a 623 yard shot. It's evident that I need some practice at that range before I attempt it again.

The day wasn't a complete loss. We found a freshly shed antelope horn. My first antelope shed. I havn't photo'd it yet but I'll have to post it up. I guess this is the time of year for antelope sheds? It stunk a little as the blood and tissue residue hadn't dried up yet.

I think you'll agree that even a day out being skunked sure beats a day behind a computer at work.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."