Making a run for the border

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
bh107
Spike
Spike

Making a run for the border

Post by bh107 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:59 am

After missing several times before, I'm going after my Mexico Grand Slam again this weekend. I am very fortunate to have a friend who is part of a hunting club south of Mexicali, Mexico. They have a cabin which they lease, and have been hunting down there for 25 years or more. I've been invited down several times with them over the last few years, and I get the change to go again this weekend. The fun thing about this weekend is all 4 species of birds are in season... dove, quail, pheasant, and duck.

First off, it really isn't as scary as it sounds. That part of Baja is mostly farming, and actually very quiet. With the propper paperwork for all of their guns, they have never had a problem going down there.

The first year I went, I missed my grand slam by missing the only shot I had at a Pheasant. My friend Erik and I did most of the pushing, and being the last weekend of pheasant season the rest of the guys were tired of pushing the fields and brush lines all day, so we only did 3 big pushes. Although I missed my one pheasant, I shot a limit of dove in the morning, 2 ducks out of a group we caught cruising down the river, as well as 3 quail out of a covey on the edge of my dove field. The hunt is really a blast, and there are lots of birds to shoot at.

So, I'm really looking forward to getting out in the field and going after my grand slam again. I didn't get to go last year because I hunted deer in Colorado for 11 days, so I'm even more excited to go this year. Hopefully I'll get invited to be a member after this year. My first year they offered it to me, but with my racing schedule I couldn't make the commitment.

I'll post a full report with pictures after I get back. We leave Thursday to go watch part of the Baja 1000 off road race Friday, then hunt Saturday.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Re: Making a run for the border

Post by waspocrew » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Sounds like a fun time.... good luck down there!

bh107
Spike
Spike

Re: Making a run for the border

Post by bh107 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:23 am

Well we made it back safely. We had a pretty good hunt. 6 guys, 15 pheasant in the morning, and a pretty solid dove shoot in the afternoon. We had to work hard as its late in pheasant season and the birds are pretty skittish, but we pushed the cotton fields and overgrown canals hard and it paid off. I'll have pictures next week.